Living in Allentown: Billy’s Downtown Diner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

As a senior, I’ve heard the same statement since freshman year, “There’s nothing to do in Allentown”. Yes, there are not as many overwhelming opportunities as one would find in NYC. And yes, we actually have to get in a car and drive to these locations and don’t have the convenience of everything we want within a few blocks. We may not be able to jump in a subway and spend a day exploring Williamsburg, but there are things to do in Allentown. For the rest of the semester, Her Campus Muhlenberg will do a series about “Things to Do in Allentown,” where we highlight locations and businesses near campus and throughout the Lehigh Valley. First on the list is the all-time Muhlenberg favorite, Billy’s Downtown Dinner.

Location: 840 Hamilton Street, Allentown

Food: With an extensive breakfast and lunch menu, whatever you want, Billy’s probably has it! The menu is always transforming and for those of you who love being adventurous and trying new food, Billy’s is the place for you. From coconut stuffed French toast, to omelets and eggs benedict, Billy’s does not disappoint. For those who prefer to eat healthier for breakfast, Billy’s has healthy and vegetarian options. You can have breakfast anytime, but if you want some lunch, you have the option of choosing between burgers, wraps, salads, chili and much, much more. They also freshly squeeze their orange juice and serve shakes and floats. Arrive with an empty stomach because the portions are huge.

Prices: The prices are great for those on a college budget. Most items on the menu are under $10!

Service: The staff is incredibly nice and attentive, and you may even run into Billy. On Sundays, the place is always packed, but one you get seated your server will make sure you feel welcome.

Atmosphere: Although it says “diner” on the sign, don’t be confused when you walk in and see modern décor. Despite its modern appeal, you still get the warm and cozy feeling you would in a diner thanks to the staff and the menu. If the weather is nice, you can also choose to sit outside and people watch. There are huge windows all over the diner, which help brighten up the space and make it seem more open.

Parking: You have to pay to park on the street but you can also take an Uber.

Travel Time: 20 minutes away from Muhlenberg College.

Worth a visit: Definitely!

Picture from: http://sarbari.com/billys-downtown-diner/