mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Likely Democratic 2020 Presidential Candidates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

With midterm elections coming up in just a few weeks, it is the perfect time for major talk on who may or may not be planning on becoming a presidential candidate for the Democratic Party in the 2020 election. Many of these speculations can be made by reviewing senators, governors, and any campaign contributions already accepted by possible candidates. Here are just a few plausible Democratic nominees and reasons why they may end up running in the 2020 campaign.

Kirsten Gillibrand (New York Senator)

Throughout the past ten years, Gillibrand has continued to increase the contributions she receives with each new election. Gillibrand has also had the unfriendliest relation with the Clintons, which could potentially be harmful in her effort to become a Democratic candidate for the presidential election. She was publicly quoted stating that Bill Clinton should have resigned from his presidency, which led to a response from Clinton along the lines of “just having to ignore the context.” Running in Gillibrand’s benefit, she does have more contributions from Davis, Polk, and Wardell in comparison to anyone else in Congress thus far. Her increasing amount of support each year makes her a completely eligible nominee for the presidential election.

Cory Booker (New Jersey Senator)

Out of the many suspected candidates for the upcoming presidential election, Booker has definitely made more commentary about running than any other potential candidates. He was noted saying that he is hopeful for a Democrat to finally be in office and that he will “see what happens.” Booker also released a popular documentary on his campaign for mayor of Newark and has developed quite a social media presence as well. Booker has also received major campaign contributions from Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, and Paul Weiss. These incentives received in large amounts are made because of having a U.S. Senator like Booker run for the presidency is a quality that investors look for. Because of this public support, it is very likely that Booker will become a candidate for the upcoming election.

Elizabeth Warren (Massachusetts Senator)

Warren has been a well known political figure because of her scrappy fighting personality on the Senate floor. She has been a fan-favorite since 2012 because of her progressive values and outspokenness on the abolition of ICE. Warren also is very popular among universities, and she has received many financial contributions from Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Boston University. Within the past few years, Warren’s spark has allowed her to become a household name and allows her to expand her progressive attitudes and fundraising into a strong presidential operation.

Carly Giacoio

Muhlenberg '22

Carly Giacoio is currently a junior at Muhlenberg College who originally is from northern New Jersey. She plans on graduating with an English major and Creative Writing minor. Carly also enjoys singing, composing music, and writing poetry in her free time.