Let’s Make Asexuality Visible

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Of all the sexual orientations, asexuality is probably one of the least understood and has the greatest amount of misconceptions surrounding it. Asexual people have always been around, but this orientation has only recently been recognized in the mainstream. So I understand that there might be some confusion.  That’s why I’m here as your friendly neighborhood asexual to explain what asexuality is and to hopefully clear up some of those misconceptions.

So what is it?

Asexuality is defined as a lack of sexual attraction to others, or low or absent interest in or desire for sexual activity. One of the most important things to realize is that asexuality is a spectrum, so there are all different kinds. Some asexual people have sex drives. Others only experience sexual attraction after a bond has been formed (called demisexual). Others never have a desire to have sex in their lives.

Isn’t that just celibacy?

Nope! Celibacy is a conscious decision to not have sex, while asexual is an orientation. Asexual people can be celibate, but they are not mutual.

So are asexual people are incapable of having feelings or something?

Also no! We aren’t robots. We aren’t broken. We’re full of love, happiness, sadness, and every other emotion. Many of us are in romantic relationships, just like anyone else.

There has to be some sort of cause for it, like a medical issue or trauma

No there doesn’t. While there are people whose asexuality may be linked with trauma, the two aren’t mutually exclusive, just like every other orientation. Asexuality is something that’s always been there, which wouldn’t be considered a medical issue. However, a sudden loss in sexual desire is different and may be a medical issue.

Okay, sure. And why is this important?

I mean, it’s always important, since many of us live this every day of our lives. However, it’s especially important at this time of year, since Asexual Awareness Week is October 22-28. It was created in 2010 to celebrate orientations on the asexual spectrum and to promote awareness.

If you would like more information or would like to search for resources in your area check out http://www.asexuality.org/

Muhlenberg '19 Spanish Language and Literature major on the Pre-med track. Hobbies include listening to music, Netflix, and debunking scientific myths
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.