Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Know the Red Flags to Look For in Toxic Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

We all want to believe that our relationships are perfect, that our significant other is the one for us. Unfortunately, that isn’t always the case, and sometimes, it is hard to see the problems of the relationship when you’re in it. No relationship is perfect, but a good relationship will make you feel happy, respected, and secure. Toxic relationships exist, and here are some signs that you may be in one. Also, it’s important to remember that these warning signs aren’t just for intimate relationships-they could be from a co-worker relationship, or even a friendship because any kind of relationship can be toxic for one or more party members.

There is No Trust

Do you trust your partner when they go out with their friends? Are they accusing you of cheating when you’ve been nothing but faithful? Trust is one of the most important elements of a relationship, and without it, the relationship will never be able to succeed and grow. 

Negativity

Are they constantly bringing you down? Do you feel a weight of negativity when you are around them? Being around so much negativity can cause you to take on this energy, as well. You shouldn’t feel uncomfortable being around someone because they are bringing you down or changing your mood.

Judgment

Do you feel constantly judged by them? When you tell them something you want to do or something you’ve experienced, or even just want to talk to them, do they judge you in some way that makes you feel ashamed? This can lead to stop telling them anything, and as a result, you and your significant other may start to grow apart. There is a fine line between trying to help someone and being belittled. It is crucial to figure out which one it is.

Jealousy

People are jealous. It’s a normal part of relationships, but if they are constantly jealous when you talk to other people, even if you’ve made it clear that you are not interested in anyone else, this can be a major sign of a toxic relationship. Jealousy leads to distrust and creates tension. Your partner should trust you and your loyalty towards them.

No Support and Feeling Unworthy

Partners are supposed to support one another, and you should always feel supported in some way. They should make you feel like your best self and lift you up when you’re down. You shouldn’t feel lonely or unsupported when you’re with them. No one has the right to make you feel worthless.

No Autonomy

Do you feel that you’re not your own person when you’re with them, that you can’t say or do anything without their permission? This could come from them constantly wanting to know where you are, or getting mad when you don’t tell them who you’re with. Although you are in a relationship, you’re still your own person. You have the right to make your own decisions for yourself. Don’t let anyone stop you from living your life.

Feel Yourself Changing to Make Them Happy

Change constantly occurs. We all grow and change from the world around us. However, you should be changing to become a better version of yourself, not someone to make another person happy. It’s a two-way street, and both parties should try to make one another happy, while still accepting each other for who they are.

Exhaustion

Feeling like you’re always walking on eggshells around someone can be exhausting. Always trying to make sure that your friends or significant other are happy but not knowing what their behavior or reaction will be will, eventually, drain you.

There is life after leaving a toxic relationship. It can hurt a lot, especially when you love someone. The most important person in your life is you. Relationships are give and take, and someone who loves you will do anything to make sure that you are happy. You deserve the best kind of relationship and love there is. Never settle for less.

Hello! I am a Junior at Muhlenberg College majoring in Theatre, with a minor in English. I am from England and studying in the United States. On campus, I am a Tour Guide, Orientation Leader, member of AAA honor society and ODK leadership honor society, and a part of MTA. I am so excited to be a writer for HerCampus!