Justin Chambers’ Grey’s Anatomy Exit Makes No Sense

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

And then there were three…

Barely back from their holiday hiatus, the Grey’s Anatomy empire is already leaving viewers unsettled. Earlier this month, original cast member, Justin Chambers, who plays the bad-boy-turned-sweetheart Alex Karev, revealed that he is departing the show after 16 seasons. After the initial shock, viewers recovered in time to learn that Chamber’s final episode has actually already aired — two months ago — and no one knew. 

“There’s no good time to say goodbye to a show and character that’s defined so much of my life for the past 15 years,” Chambers said in a statement to Deadline. “For some time now, however, I have hoped to diversify my acting roles and career choices. And, as I turn 50 and am blessed with my remarkable, supportive wife and five wonderful children, now is that time.”

Despite the fact that Chambers went on to thank creator, Shonda Rhimes, and each of the remaining original cast members, it seems unlikely that the ex-pediatric surgeon left the show on positive terms. Rhimes, as well as most of the primary cast, have been mute on social media. Only Grey herself, Ellen Pompeo, has even acknowledged the exit and all she did was quote a Vanity Fair tweet writing, “Truer words have never been spoken.” She worked side by side with this man for 16 seasons and that’s all he gets? Really?

During the midseason premiere on January 23, Alex’s absence was addressed but not given any proper closure. According to Jo, Alex was in Iowa visiting his mother. To the average Grey’s fan, this is not out of the ordinary. But to the informed viewer, there is clearly a problem here. Is Alex going to be “visiting” his mother forever? What is going to happen with Jo’s story, anyway? Her husband has seemingly vanished with no sign of return. Would they kill Alex? Why has Camila Luddington said nothing? This makes no sense!

Chambers’ departure is less than two years after the infamous International Women’s Day release that Sarah Drew (April Kepner) and Jessica Capshaw (Arizona Robbins) were being let go from the show. Quite the opposite from Chambers, Drew and Capshaw were both flooded with social media dedications from cast and crew alike and were given meaningful send-offs. (Though, April’s is still questionable if you ask me. But that’s a different conversation.)

Viewers were frustrated when Patrick Dempsey AKA Derek Shepherd’s exit was similarly met with silence by most of the cast. At least McDreamy went out as a hero! George received closure, Callie, Mark, Lexie, even Stephanie Edwards! The disrespect towards Alex Karev’s legacy and Justin Chambers’ dedication to this show has seemingly been swept under the rug. It’s as though they want us to forget Alex ever existed. 

Grey’s Anatomy is a modern-day soap opera and it’s true, characters do come and go. But when one of the only remaining members of the original cast gets as poor a send-off as this, it really makes you wonder when enough is enough. 

Brianna Kovit

Muhlenberg '22

Brianna Kovit is a sophomore at Muhlenberg College studying Media & Communication. Originally from Long Island, Brianna is passionate about bagels, pizza, and the "Friends" episode, "The One in Massapequa."
Yanet Ocampo

Muhlenberg