This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Loving yourself unconditionally can be a challenge, but it is crucial for a happy life. You only have one life to love and one body to take care of. So, self-love should be a top priority for everyone. Here are some steps you can take to reach a state of self-love and acceptance:

Practice self-care.

In order to love yourself unconditionally, the first step is to take care of your basic needs. This includes eating healthy, exercising, getting adequate sleep, and having good social interactions with others. Lifestyle changes are never easy, so take tiny steps in order to improve your quality of life. And remember: a healthy body equals healthy mind.

Forgive yourself.

Remember: you are not perfect. As humans, we tend to put a lot of pressure on ourselves. Try to embrace the idea that you are not perfect and you make mistakes. Instead of living in regret, take every mistake as an opportunity for further growth and learning. Learn to let go.

Face your inner struggles.

A key part of loving yourself is to let go of the past. Your past struggles shape you into the person you are today, but don’t dwell on them. Healing from your past can be challenging on your own. Thus, don’t be afraid to talk to someone who can help you sort through your past and reclaim your life.

Form healthy relationships. 

This means letting go of toxic relationships. Life is too short to surround yourself with people who don’t improve the quality of your life or make you feel loved and appreciated. Don’t be afraid to cut people out of your life. Realize that you are worth more than an unhealthy friendship. You are deserving of a loving and respectful relationship.

Treat yourself the way you would treat someone you love.

When you love someone, you wouldn’t intentionally say anything harmful to them. So then why do we say terrible things to ourselves? It is true that we are our worst critic. So, instead of treating yourself poorly, look at yourself in the mirror and point out things that you love about yourself because you are worthy of good things, including loving yourself unconditionally.

Hopefully these tips will help you with your journey to unconditional self love. And remember, YOU are worthy of love, respect, and self-acceptance.

Sources:

Emily Garber

Muhlenberg '21

Muhlenberg College Content Editor
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.