This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Recently, Jonah Hill has made his directorial debut with his coming of age film Mid90s. This comedy-drama follows “a teenager named Stevie growing up in Los Angeles. He’s struggling with his family, including his co-dependent single mom and his abusive older brother, and at school, where his richer friends seem to overlook him.” After the main character Stevie, who is 13 years old, becomes friends with a group of skateboarders, he becomes more aware and learns lessons about race, class, and privilege.

Sunny Suljic, an American actor and skateboarder, will have his first lead role in this film as Stevie. He is joined by Lucas Hedges, who plays Stevie’s older brother, Ian, and Katherine Waterston who plays the two boy’s mother. These three actors portray a family that is not completely stable, and at times toxic, but that is the reality for so many kids and families around the world.

This film is extremely heartwarming, and most importantly real and relevant to issues many young adults are facing that are not always represented, such as struggling to be raised with a parent with an addiction, depression, and suicide, as well as sexual experiences, race relations, and experimenting with alcohol.

As for the reviews, this film has received a rating of 91% on Rotten Tomatoes; the website’s reviews consist of the following, “Mid90s tells a clear-eyed yet nostalgic coming-of-age tale that might mark the start of an auspicious new career for debuting writer-director Jonah Hill.” Overall, the film received a 7.4 out of 10 and has overall gotten great reviews.

While Hill’s film was shown at the Toronto Film Festival on September 9th of this year, it is not scheduled to be released in theaters until October 19th, so be sure to check out this new up and coming movie!

Hello! My name is Caroline Kinney, and I am the Campus Correspondent of the Muhlenberg Her Campus Chapter! I am originally from Leesburg, Virginia (D.C./Maryland/Virginia area) and currently a sophomore majoring in Theatre with a minor in Creative Writing. I am elated to be entering into this position at Her Campus Muhlenberg. My primary goals as the President/Editor-In-Chief of the chapter is to have an intersectionality approach to all of our content and to create a special bond between every team member in the chapter. Lover of corgis, guacamole, and intersectional feminism. I am so excited for this semester!