It’s Domestic Violence Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Domestic Violence Awareness Month was first observed in October 1987, which stemmed from the “Day of Unity” that was first held in 1981.  The “Day of Unity” was devoted to celebrating those who have survived, connect those who work to end violence, and to mourn those who have died due to domestic violence. In 1989, U.S. Congress passed Public Law 101-112, which ultimately designated October as National Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Day of Unity is held each year on the first Monday of October.

Now, what exactly is domestic violence, and who does it affect? Domestic Violence is defined as a “pattern of behaviors used by one partner to maintain power and control over another partner in an intimate relationship. Anyone can be a victim of domestic violence, no matter one’s race, gender, sexual orientation, or relationship status. Domestic Violence is patterns of coercive behaviors that endure physical and emotional harm, intimidate, and cause fear to someone. But, why do people abuse their partners? According to the National Domestic Violence Hotline, people abuse their partners as a form to “gain and maintain power and control over an intimate partner.”  Many wonder why people choose not to leave abusive relationships, this is often easier said than done. Exiting an abusive relationship can be extremely difficult for a victim of abuse, as this is the moment that they place a halt to the dominating control their partner exerts over them. Many people choose to stay in abusive relationships due to fear, embarrassment, love, or even believing that abusive behavior is normal.

There is a vast difference between a healthy relationship and an abusive one. A healthy relationship is maintained through open communication, where partners listen and respect one another’s opinions. In contrast, an abusive relationship would allow for communication to be one-sided, threatening, and demeaning. A healthy relationship is also characterized as honest, equal, honest, enjoying each other’s company, and a mutual balance. Whereas, an abusive relationship is characterized as being disrespectful, having a lack of trust, isolating, manipulative, and controlling.  Domestic violence affects nearly twenty people per minute, and one in three women and one in four men will be victims of some form of physical violence by their partner within their lifetime.

If you or anyone you know is suffering in an abusive relationship, feel free to contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−7233 or visit thehotline.org, where they can provide resources that are near to you. Domestic Violence leaves a lasting impact on victims, as they have often suffered through this trauma alone. Always remember that it is crucial to offer support to our loved ones who may be in an abusive relationship. Yet, it’s important to acknowledge their situation in a non-judgmental manner, as well as continuing to support them whether or not they choose to leave or remain in the relationship. The time is now. We must break the silence.

Sources:

https://nrcdv.org/dvam/DVAM-history

https://www.thehotline.org/help/

https://ncadv.org/statistics

Yanet Ocampo

Muhlenberg