jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Tackle Valentine’s Day, Single or Taken

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

We are over a month into 2016, and that means that four of my favorite holidays will not come again until the end of the year.  Let’s be real… Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Eve are four of the greatest holidays (other than my birthday of course).  March 24, my 21st birthday, will be an exciting day, but unfortunately I must get through one big holiday before then: Valentine’s Day.For some, Valentine’s Day is an exciting holiday where you can bask in love with your significant other.  You spend the day together, get each other gifts and go to a romantic dinner. But for most, Valentine’s Day is either a holiday filled with too much pressure or a reminder of the fact that you are sad and alone.  Well, I think that this is silly.  Valentine’s Day should not cause any more stress or sadness than any other day and here’s why.

First of all, for all you couples out there, why should Valentine’s Day be any different than any other day?  You should love and appreciate each other every day of the year! Don’t get me wrong I get the hype.  It’s fun to have an excuse to give and receive presents and be mushy and go to a nice dinner.  But if you really think about it, why should a holiday that was made up entirely to steal consumers’ money represent how much you love someone?  I say couples should treat every day like it’s Valentine’s Day, which alleviates the pressure of February 14.  There is so much pressure on couples for the night to be perfect and for the gifts to be perfect.  Some of the best memories you’ll have with your partner will probably be ones that happen spontaneously and organically, so try not to get too worked up over making the night perfect. Now, to all the singles out there… don’t be sad this upcoming Valentine’s Day!  Even though I think the holiday is silly in general, it does have a nice message.  It’s all about showing appreciation towards loved ones.  So why do we get so worked up about having a special someone to show our love to?!  We all have friends and families who we love and who love us.  Back in elementary school, every single student would bring a Valentine’s Day card for every classmate and you’d end up going home with 25 cards and candies. Why does this concept end in our youth?  If you don’t have a partner, who cares?!  Hang out with your best (single) friends!  Order some Italian, drink wine, watch a chick flick and enjoy being with the people that you love.  Call your parents and remind them that you love them and that you’re thankful to them for putting you through college.  Smile at a stranger. Pass around chocolates around campus.  This used to be standard when we were younger, but as we’ve grown up we get the idea in our heads that if we are single it is impossible to feel loved on Valentine’s Day.  As Hailee Steinfeld once said, “I love me. Gonna love myself, no, I don’t need anybody else.”

So, moral of this Valentine’s Day story is that couples shouldn’t put too much pressure on the day/night and they should just treat it like any other day, and singles should embrace the love they do have in their lives whether it be from their friends, families, or themselves.

Sadie Katz

Muhlenberg

Sadie is currently a Junior at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, Pennsylvania. She studies Media and Communications and Music. She was born and raised in Los Angeles, but NYC has stolen her heart. She loves the beach, fall, sushi, gnocchi, and most other foods. You can find her at Eataly in NYC in her spare time. Sadie hopes to live in NYC one day, working in either PR or social media.