This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

With the start of the second semester, it’s important to think about how to start it off right and how to stay on track. Last semester may have been a rough one, or maybe it was a great one, but either way a new semester is another chance to either do better or keep your streak going. Here are a few of my suggestions on how to start a new semester off right:

First of all, one of the biggest things to help start the semester off right is being positive. Trying your best to look at things from a positive perspective can go a long way. This doesn’t mean you can’t have any worries or doubts. I personally tend to get very negative when one thing doesn’t go my way. When I do this, I try to remind myself that it will be okay and that I just have to get through the rest of the day. Having a more positive outlook on things and believing in yourself will help you have a great semester. 

ORGANIZATION is probably the most helpful thing to have when trying to start the semester off right. There are so many ways to stay organized and everyone has their own personal preference. You can use a digital calendar like the Google Calendar or the Calendar app. You can also use a physical planner or bullet journal. I like to use both a digital calendar and a bullet journal. I really enjoy using the Google Calendar for things like my classes and meetings and I like how you can color coordinate the calendar and make it look really nice. Having some sort of organizational method will help you plan things accordingly so that you don’t become overwhelmed. Planning ahead is also very important for a successful semester. Whether you plan a week, month, or whole semester ahead it makes a difference. I recommend writing any important dates down from your syllabi or any other dates you know are important. When you plan ahead, you will have more time to figure out how much time you have to get stuff done and it will be a lot easier to handle later in the semester. 

Although it is important to schedule your assignments and meetings and all other things that you have going on. It is also important that you make sure you have time for yourself. Having some room to breathe in your schedule and just do nothing whether it’s for a whole day or just a half hour can make everything else happening a lot easier to handle. As college students, we often overbook ourselves with many things to do. I am guilty of committing to many things to the point of getting very stressed and overwhelmed. Everyone is different and some people need to have their schedules booked and some people need more free time. Figuring out what works for you is crucial to making sure you start your semester off right. 

It is never too late to decide you want to change how your semester is going. If the semester doesn’t start off exactly how you planned, just take a step back and think about how you can move forward in a way that will make the rest of the semester a great one. 

Hi, my name is Veronica Pasko and I am a sophomore at Muhlenberg College. I am studying Media and Communications and also minoring in Business Administration.
Yanet Ocampo

Muhlenberg