sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

How to Cut Back on Spending In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

When it comes to spending, I am probably one of the only people that can drop close to $200 a week (yes, that has happened). But, after taking a few classes and learning through experience, I have successfully learned a few strategies to save some money and save myself from debt!

Try eating more on-campus.

It is very hard to keep yourself from venturing out to your favorite restaurants and eateries close to your school, and it was especially difficult for me because I didn’t have my parents to help me rethink my decisions. Instead of saying yes every time someone asks you to eat off-campus, try to limit yourself to a certain number of outings a week. I restrict myself to a maximum of 1-2, but this is subject to change based on friend’s birthdays or celebrations.

Take out cash at an ATM if you receive a check or have money in your bank account.

This is something that I learned through trial-and-error; cash helps you to see, physically, how much money you have! Personally, I am a bit afraid each time I check my bank account balance, so keeping cash handy is helpful-you can always count how much you have available for use. It also may stop you from buying unnecessary products. When I hand over a card versus when I hand over cash, I feel a bit more guilty when spending my physical money.

Give yourself a weekly spending limit.

You should base this limit off of your income for the month or week. I have found it helpful to have a limit of $40 a week. This gives you some money to use on meals or other small purchases.

Open a savings account that is more strict.

High-interest savings accounts and CDs are great to save money for long-term goals–these accounts limit your transactions while also allowing for your money to grow.

Hello! My name is Caroline Kinney, and I am the Campus Correspondent of the Muhlenberg Her Campus Chapter! I am originally from Leesburg, Virginia (D.C./Maryland/Virginia area) and currently a sophomore majoring in Theatre with a minor in Creative Writing. I am elated to be entering into this position at Her Campus Muhlenberg. My primary goals as the President/Editor-In-Chief of the chapter is to have an intersectionality approach to all of our content and to create a special bond between every team member in the chapter. Lover of corgis, guacamole, and intersectional feminism. I am so excited for this semester!