This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

This year in music has been one of the best in a long time, with new albums coming out and each better than the last. Let’s take a look at some of the nominees for the 2020 Grammy’s. Who do you think will win each award? Keep reading to see my predictions for the 2020Grammy Awards!

Record of the Year: 

• “Hey Ma” – Bon Iver

• “Bad Guy” – Billie Eilish 

• “7 Rings” – Ariana Grande

• “Hard Place” – H.E.R.

• “Talk” – Khalid

• “Old Town Road” – Lil Nas X ft. Billy Ray Cyrus

• “Truth Hurts” – Lizzo

• “Sunflower” – Post Malone and Swae Lee

Prediction: I think “Truth Hurts” by Lizzo will likely win this award even with the controversy surrounding the song when it came out. Her album came out this year and people LIVED for this song and rightfully so. Lizzo is queen. 

Album of the Year:

• I, I – Bon Iver

• Norman Fucking Rockwell! – Lana Del Rey

• When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? – Billie Eilish

• Thank U Next – Ariana Grande

• I Used To Know Her – H.E.R.

• 7 – Lil Nas X

• Cuz I Love You (Deluxe) – Lizzo

• Father of the Bride – Vampire Weekend

Prediction: Ok so, Thank U Next by Ariana Grande is my favorite album of 2019 and if it doesn’t win, I will actually cry. Every song is incredible and it made me like Ariana Grande’s music which I thought was decent before. This album is perfection. Dear Grammy’s, PLEASE!

Song of the Year:

• “Always Remember Us This Way” – Lady Gaga

• “Bad Guy” – Billie Eilish

• “Bring My Flowers Now” – Tanya Tucker

• “Hard Place” – H.E.R.

• “Lover” – Taylor Swift

• “Someone You Loved” – Lewis Capaldi

• “Truth Hurts” – Lizzo

Prediction: Every time I listen to “Someone You Loved” by Lewis Capaldi, I cry. Feelings that I didn’t even know existed, feelings that I have no right having all come pouring out. And music with that kind of power over a person is real genuine creativity at its finest and that is what deserves to win awards.

Best New Artist: 

• Black Pumas

• Billie Eilish

• Lil Nas X

• Lizzo 

• Maggie Rogers

• Rosalía

• Tank and the Bangas

• Yola

Prediction: I would like to start off by saying I am not a Billie Eilish fan, her music isn’t my vibe and quite frankly I don’t get the hype. Despite that, she has a great voice, people love her, and I would be shocked if she didn’t win. 

Best Pop Solo Performance: 

• “Spirit” – Beyonce

• “Bad Guy” – Billie Eilish

• “7 Rings” – Ariana Grande

• “Truth Hurts” – Lizzo

• “You Need to Calm Down” – Taylor Swift

Prediction: As I said before, I’m not a fan of Billie, but “Bad Guy“ slaps. It’s really popular and again will be surprised if she doesn’t win. 

Best Pop Duo/ Group Performance

• “Boyfriend” – Ariana Grande and Social House

• “Sucker” – Jonas Brothers

• “Señorita” – Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello

Prediction: I am so glad that the world has chosen to forget that “Pom Poms” was the first JoBro’s comeback song and instead acknowledges “Sucker.” I think that this catchy tune will win for Best Group Performance because the world is so happy that they’re back. 

Best Pop Vocal Album:

• “The Lion King: The Gift” – Beyonce

• “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?” – Billie Eilish 

• “Thank You Next” – Ariana Grande

• No. 6 Collaborations Project” – Ed Sheeran

• “Lover” – Taylor Swift

Prediction: Refer to the answer above about how AMAZING Thank U Next is, okay thank u. 

Best R&B Performance: 

• “Love Again” – Daniel Caesar and Brandy

• “Could’ve Been” – H.E.R. ft. Bryson Tiller

• “Exactly How I Feel” – Lizzo ft. Gucci Mane

• “Roll Some Mo” – Lucky Daye

• “Come Home” – Anderson Paak ft. André 3000

Prediction: Love Again, by Daniel Caesar ft. Brandy was an iconic collaboration, the combination of Daniel Caesar’s god-like, beautiful voice and Brandy, ugh chef’s kiss, perfection.  

Best R&B Song: 

• “Look at Me Now” – Emily King

• “No Guidance” – Chris Brown ft. Drake

• “Roll Some Mo” – Lucky Daye

• “ Say So” – PJ Morton ft. JoJo

Prediction: Chris Brown may be a horrible person, but his voice is sexy as hell. ”No Guidance” featuring my actual husband and best NJB, Drake, is so good and I could and I have listened to it for hours on end with no shame. 

Best Urban Contemporary Album:

• “Apollo XXI” – Steve Lacy

• “Cuz I Love You (Deluxe)” – Lizzo

• “Overload” – Georgia Anne Muldrow

• “Saturn” – NAO

• “Being Human in Public” – Jessie Reyez

Prediction: I love Lizzo. Cuz I Love You (Deluxe) has so many strong, powerful, fun songs that fit any and every mood. Get your Grammy’s, queen!

Best R&B Album:

• 1123 – BJ The Chicago Kid

• Painted – Lucky Daye

• Ella Mai – Ella Mai

• Paul – PJ Morton

• Ventura – Anderson Paak

Prediction: After her win for Best R&B Song for “Boo’d Up”, Ella Mai’s self-titled album is sure to win best R&B album this year, her gorgeous voice and great vibe scream success. 

Best Rap Performance:

• “Middle Child” – J. Cole

• “Suge” – DaBaby

• “Down Bad” – Dreamville ft. J.I.D, Bas, J. Cole, EARTHGANG, and Young Nudy

• “Racks In The Middle” – Nipsey Hustle ft. Roddy Ricch and Hit-Boy

• “Clout” – Offset ft. Cardi B

Prediction: “Middle Child” is a great song and I don’t even like J. Cole’s music that much. He deserves the win for this song and if he doesn’t win I will be outraged. 

Best Rap/Sung Performance

• “Higher” – DJ Khalid ft. Nipsey Hustle and John Legend

• “Drip Too Hard” – Lil Baby and Gunna

• “Panini” – Lil Nas X

• “Ballin” – Mustard ft. Roddy Ricch

• “The London” –  Young Thug ft. J. Cole and Travis Scott

Prediction: “The London,” by Young Thug ft. J. Cole and Travis Scott is one of my favorite songs right now, it’s so good. The trifecta of incredible sounding artists that sound like they belong perfectly together is bound to be a winner 

*Higher by DJ Khalid has a likely chance of winning this award due to Nipsey Hussle’s death. I really like this song too and I would totally understand if it won him an award.*

Best Rap Song:

• “Bad Idea” – YBN Cordae ft. Chance The Rapper

• “Gold Roses” – Rick Ross ft. Drake

• “A Lot” – 21 Savage ft. J. Cole

• “Racks in the Middle” – Nipsey Hustle ft. Roddy Ricch and Hit-Boy

• “Suge” – DaBaby

Prediction: I love Suge by DaBaby. It’s so catchy and I find it being stuck in my head all day, every day, but oddly enough it never is annoying to me. It can’t just be me! 

Best Rap Album:

• Revenge of the Dreamers III – Dreamville

• Championships – Meek Mill

• I Am > I Was – 21 Savage 

• Igor – Tyler, The Creator

• The Lost Boy – YBN Cordae

Prediction: My sister is a HUGE Tyler, the Creator fan and before even listening to one of the songs off of this album I bought her and I tickets to his SOLD OUT Madison Square Garden show in October. I listened to Igor so I would know what was happening at this concert, I ended up falling in love with it. Every song is good, and even better live. I believe that this album, while it is no Thank U Next, should have been nominated for more than just Best Rap Album. 

Paige Weisburg

Muhlenberg '22

Paige Weisburg is a Sophomore at Muhlenberg College. She loves judaism, beauty, pop culture, fashion, politics, and Israel