Fitness Class of the Week: Spin Class!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Hi everyone, it’s Amanda! 

I hope you all read my article from last week and are excited to hear all about the awesome fitness classes available to us here at Berg! The first workout class I want to talk about in this fitness class series is Spin! This 50-minute class is full of energy and intensity. They moved the Spin room to the last racket ball room in the life sports center. If you ever need help finding the room, just ask the person sitting at the front desk and they will help you out! It is offered many times throughout the week, usually Monday and Wednesday at 12:10-20:50 and Monday through Thursday at 5:15-6:15. Now you don’t have an excuse to not go because it is almost every night! This class is taught by either a staff member or a student! I love when the students teach because I feel like I am just spinning for fun with friends.

This is not a class for experts, all levels can take this class! You start off easy getting your heart pumping and peddling to a song. Then the songs change from upbeat, to fast-paced to intense. There are three positions: sitting, standing, and hovered over your bike with your butt up. You transition to different positions with each song. You could be listening to one song as you’re climbing a mountain listening to “Eye of the Tiger” and the next thing you know, you’re racing while listening to “Work” by Rhianna. Another song I’ve struggled to keep up with by moving throughout all three positions within four seconds is when “Girlfriend” by Avril Lavigne comes on. You never really know what song is coming next, so you never know what the next motions are!

Time passes by very fast in this class because you’re just listening to about 10 songs total! It is such a great way to work out your entire body and you can totally feel it in your legs the next day. In reality, it is a total body workout and you don’t even realize it! Before last spring semester I had never taken spin before. Now, I absolutely love it and I try to go as often as possible! When the music’s blasting and your legs are pumping, time flies and you’re getting a great workout! 

I'm Darling, I'm 21 years old and I go to Muhlenberg College. I am a double major in Public Health and French.