Dorm Hacks that Every College Student Needs To Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Another school year has arrived and chances are you’re in a different dorm than the previous year, or it’s your first semester of college. Here are a few tips to make the most of the space you have in your dorm in order to make it feel as “homey” as possible.

Make use of the space you have

If you live in a particularly small dorm room, it’s helpful to use the space under your bed. Depending on the size of your room, you can fully loft your bed or purchase bed-risers that provide you with more accessibility to the amount of space you have underneath your bed. The lower your bed is to the ground, the less storage space you have. Depending on how high or low you make your bed, you can even fit your desk underneath. This hack is quite practical if your room is small in size, but has high enough ceilings. Moving your desk underneath your bed makes your room appear bigger. Speaking of storage space…   

Plastic drawer sets can create more storage space

If you’re like me and you bring way too much shit to school with you, you cannot go wrong with having one, two, or even three sets of moveable drawer sets with you. You can organize them in any particular way: to hold onto school supplies, toiletries, food, clothing, and all other miscellaneous items you might have with you. Drawer sets can easily fit under your bed or in your closet. They’ll allow you to keep your other spaces, such as your desk, from becoming cluttered. You can easily find plastic drawer sets at any Target or craft store.

Command hooks/strips are your literal best friend

If you know, you know. Command products are genuinely amazing. If you put up hooks in strategic places, they can be used for whatever you need them for. Coat hangers, towel hangers, shower caddy holders – there is an infinite number of ways that you can use removable hooks. The Command strip products are effective and useful as well. They’re especially helpful with decorating your dorm room, such as your fancy new tapestry that needs to be hung up.

Hanging storage racks in your closet come in handy

Those Velcro hanging storage cubbies that hang from the pole in your closet are so clutch. You can literally put whatever you want in them: towels, sheets, sweats, shirts, pants, shoes! Anything you need space for can easily be put in the shelf. The hanging piece really saves space in your room for other things, like your new drawer sets perhaps! Hanging storage units are extremely practical in dorms because they eliminate the need for big bins that take up other floor space.  

Drawer storage dividers keep your draws clutter-free

As stupid and wasteful as they may seem, drawer dividers are super convenient. One of the most important things about being in college is staying organized in every way possible, even if it comes down to the nitty-gritty of your desk drawers. Remember, clutter-free desk equals a clutter-free mind! Buying these drawer dividers or any similar plastic product you find can help keep all your school supplies, makeup, and whatever else you may put in your drawers as neat as possible.

If you keep your dorm as neat and organized as possible, it’s just one less thing to stress over, and you can leave the stressing to your school work.

Jordyn Kamis

Muhlenberg '21

¯_(ツ)_/¯