absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

The Devastation of Hurricane Michael

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

As winds sustained maximum speeds of 155 mph, Hurricane Michael made landfall near Mexico Beach, Florida at 12:30 pm CDT on Wednesday, October 10th, 2018. Hurricane Michael is the first ever Category 4 hurricane to hit the Florida Panhandle. What started as just a Tropical Depression Fourteen on October 7th, 2018 rapidly intensified to a Category 1 hurricane and then to a Category 4 as it approached Florida. The once beautiful Florida Panhandle coast is in ruins.  Mexico Beach and Panama City were destroyed. So far, a thousand search-and-rescue workers have been deployed.

The landscape now appears post-apocalyptic. The strong winds ripped houses apart, some were blown apart leaving just the foundation, while others were completely shredded. Flooding has filled the streets, taking people’s belongings, causing a sea of what was once people’s homes. Sirens are blaring as search-and-rescue workers rush to the affected areas, and for miles, the ground is cluttered with glass, wood, metal, and other debris. 1.1 million homes and businesses have been left without electricity.

Governor Rick Scott of Florida has reported that there are thirty shelters open, with roughly 4,281 people in them. Early Wednesday evening, Hurricane Michael reached Southwestern Georgia as a Category 3 hurricane. Michael is now a tropical storm passing into North Carolina and Virginia as it heads into the Atlantic Ocean.

As of the morning of Friday the 12th, eleven people have died. Sarah Radney, an eleven-year-old girl, was killed on Wednesday when a carport was torn away and came flying into her home. The death toll is expected to rise as rescue efforts continue.

Information On How to Help the Victims and Where to Donate:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/11/reader-center/how-to-help-hurricane-michael-victims.html

Gabriella Petrone

Muhlenberg '21

Hello I'm Gabriella Petrone! I'm currently a senior at Muhlenberg College studying as an english major and political science minor. I'm from Fairfield, Connecticut. I'm very excited to be a writer for Her Campus Muhlenberg! I love everything about the fall from fallen leaves to jean jackets. I also love a good story so I am an avid TV and movie fan. One of my favorite activities is curling up with a good book and a hot mug of tea. I'm looking forward to the upcoming year.
Hello! My name is Caroline Kinney, and I am the Campus Correspondent of the Muhlenberg Her Campus Chapter! I am originally from Leesburg, Virginia (D.C./Maryland/Virginia area) and currently a sophomore majoring in Theatre with a minor in Creative Writing. I am elated to be entering into this position at Her Campus Muhlenberg. My primary goals as the President/Editor-In-Chief of the chapter is to have an intersectionality approach to all of our content and to create a special bond between every team member in the chapter. Lover of corgis, guacamole, and intersectional feminism. I am so excited for this semester!