This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

When living in a world where there are so many different makeup and beauty companies, it is hard to decide which company is best. Although these choices can seem overwhelming, every makeup brand has the same essential goals: creating a product that works well, allowing a customer to expect great results, and to design a new product that will catch the customer’s attention. As consumers, we naturally gravitate towards merchandise that seems trendy, holds up to our expectations, and involves an original idea that cannot be purchased anywhere else. Totally negating that concept, recently, Bhad Bhadie (Danielle Bregoli) began her endorsement of CopyCat Beauty, a makeup company whose sole purpose is to completely steal ideas from other famous makeup brands and sell them for an affordable price. By simply hearing the mission of this brand, it may not sound too horrible-it is possible to retrieve some beauty products that are trendy, but not too pricey! But, because the ideas are stolen from popular companies, the insanely cheap products may not maintain the same great quality.

To start off, CopyCat Beauty’s logo is a stolen piece of work, using a similar design to the Anastasia Beverly Hills logo with a few smaller details. The website itself advocates that it is copying other brands and clearly lists the product it is copying, the products’ original price, and the price of the CopyCat Beauty version. The company’s dupes include the Anastasia Beverly Hills Sugar Glow Kit, Too Faced Chocolate Gold Eyeshadow Palette, Urban Decay Naked Heat Palette, Stila Liquid Eye Glitters, Mac Lipsticks, Marc Jacobs Makeup Brushes, and much more. Compared to the originals, CopyCat retails their products for 91% less than the true brands list their product for. For example, the Anastasia Beverly Hills Sugar Glow Kit retails for $40, while the CopyCat Beauty Beach Glow Kit is sold for $8.99.

Of course, these brands are mainly luxury products that can be found at Sephora or other high-end retailers, so they can be pricey. However, these products are worth every penny and are guaranteed to provide great results since they come from a larger, and more developed, company. Purchasing copied makeup from a smaller brand can help your wallet, but it may not be able to help your makeup look. In a recent review of Bhad Bhabie’s CopyCat beauty by cosmetics business owner and YouTuber, Jeffree Star, he compares each of the products personally given to him by Bhad Bhabie with the original. Star was brutally honest with his review, and pointed out that some of the palettes and eye glitters showed very little pigment. But, you are getting what you paid for. He also did mention that some products, like the lipsticks and brushes, worked exceptionally well for their price points (around $2-$5).

CopyCat Beauty possesses some good intentions-they want consumers to have the ability to try and love makeup products that are expensive, but at a much lower cost. The problem with this still is that the consumer is not getting the same notable quality that they would be getting from the original brand. The brand’s main objective is to simply steal other brands’ ideas, but these large companies work extremely hard to create these original products.This does not sit well with me. If you are dying to try a new product that you really think would enhance your beauty routine, I would suggest splurging and purchasing that original product, so that you can truly enjoy every ounce of what you pay for.

Carly Giacoio

Muhlenberg '22

Carly Giacoio is currently a junior at Muhlenberg College who originally is from northern New Jersey. She plans on graduating with an English major and Creative Writing minor. Carly also enjoys singing, composing music, and writing poetry in her free time.
Hello! My name is Caroline Kinney, and I am the Campus Correspondent of the Muhlenberg Her Campus Chapter! I am originally from Leesburg, Virginia (D.C./Maryland/Virginia area) and currently a sophomore majoring in Theatre with a minor in Creative Writing. I am elated to be entering into this position at Her Campus Muhlenberg. My primary goals as the President/Editor-In-Chief of the chapter is to have an intersectionality approach to all of our content and to create a special bond between every team member in the chapter. Lover of corgis, guacamole, and intersectional feminism. I am so excited for this semester!