neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Celebrities And Social Media In The Fashion Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Fashion is timeless and inspirational. It has also evolved tremendously. Today’s fashion offers individuals a sense of freedom instead of constricting them to stereotypes. The good girls of today can wear leather jackets without any strange looks because it has become a staple item in every young woman’s wardrobe; it’s no longer reserved for the 80’s bad boys. Although people have more freedom when it comes to what they wear, for some reason, people choose to follow trendsetters instead of being unique. Thanks to social media, it’s so easy be inspired by celebrities and adopt their styles.

Fashion bloggers, celebrities and designers all use Instagram and Facebook to help spread current fashion trends and showcase their style. Celebrities wield exceptional power and influence because they already have a fan base and a signature look. Because of their influence, they are the iconic trendsetters in today’s society. Celebrities are also impactful as a team. Hollywood events are a chance for fashion power duos to be in the same place and dress to impress. Designers also use these events to showcase their work. There are hundreds of pictures being taken and everyone wants to end up on the “Top X Best Dressed Stars” list.

When thinking about influential celebrities with a huge social media presence, Kylie Jenner is the first name that most people probably think of. She’s known for her street style, red carpet looks, and her obsession with her nails, lips, and wigs, of course. Looking through Kylie’s Instagram, I was amazed at how she was able to make simple sunglasses and plain white sneakers look glamorous. Her influence is so powerful she can make any item popular. It also helps that she’s in the same social circle with designers, models and Hollywood elite. Her sister, Kendall, and Gigi Hadid are other stylish celebs that have a large fan base. Their Instagram accounts offer a quick look into their world of modeling. These young women set trends because they are the perfect ones to do so. They live idealistic lives that most could only dream about, work with high-profile names, and are tight with other A-list celebs, like T-Swift and Justin Bieber. To top it all off, they’re also insanely beautiful.

Most of their followers want to live their lives and the closest they can get is by following their styles. From over-lined lips, to oversized sunglasses, whatever these young celebrities wear, it’s almost guaranteed their fan base will try to copy. Before the Internet, people interpreted what was trending by observing others. But thanks to social media, trends now spread instantaneously, especially when the person setting them has 58.2 million followers on Instagram (*cough* Hi, Kylie *cough*).