Campus Cutie: Mary Donofrio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

From Mullica Hill, New Jersey, Mary Donofrio is an active member of the Muhlenberg community. From Greek life (Phi Mu) to the Theatre Association, to writing for Her Campus, and directing and organizing Muhlenberg’s annual production of the Vagina Monologues, Mary has always been passionate about the arts and theatre. 

Class year? Senior, 2016.

Major and Minor? Theatre Major (Performance Studies Concentration) Women’s and Gender Studies Minor

Hometown? Mullica Hill, NJ

Favorite professor? 4-way tie between Jim Peck, Beth Schachter, Francesca Coppa, and Troy Dwyer. All four of them are so generous with their students, are some of the smartest people I’ve ever met and have definitely challenged me to grow as a scholar, artist, and person. I am so lucky to have great relationships will all of them, and will miss them when I graduate in May!

Best memory at ‘Berg? There are so many, but raising $760 for Turning Point of Lehigh Valley from last year’s production of the Vagina Monologues was such an amazing feeling, especially since it was my first time running the event on my own. 

What inspired you to go into your major? I’ve always been interested in the arts and I’ve always had a passion for Theatre! I think what specifically pushed me in the direction of Performance Studies and Women’s and Gender Studies is taking Theatre and Society with Beth Schachter my first semester at ‘Berg. For the first time, not only was I reading and studying plays like I had in high school, but I was learning about their social and cultural contexts, and understanding the impact they had on society at the time. This information fascinated me, and I wanted to learn more about how performance affects humanity more broadly, and what different things we can do with performance to communicate important, positive messages to others. 

Fun fact? I am a twin in my sorority and a twin in real life! My biological twin is a senior at Bucknell majoring in Geology, and my Phi Mu twin is currently studying abroad in Denmark. 

Current Netflix binge? Bob’s Burgers! My suite-mates and I love to watch it together. Each one of us has a Belcher that fits our personality, and I have the lovely distinction of being the most like Tina. 

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Ideally, through graduate school, working in some capacity in Theatre, owning a cat, and happy!