Campus Couples: Bailey and Tom Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

This week, we interviewed Tom Herr and Bailey Fulginiti. They’ve known each other since middle school and have been dating since their junior year in high school. They’re very different people but they somehow make it work! Read all about this wonderful couple that’s very comfortable with each other and appreciative of one another. 

1. How did you guys meet? 

Thomas: It was in like, 8th.. 7th… 6th..  grade orchestra because we both played string instruments.

Bailey: That was like the cut and dry version of that. 

Thomas: You can elaborate. 

Bailey: He’s a shy, awkward individual and that’s not who I am and I thought it was weird that every time I was like “Hey Tom” he’d be like “Oh hey” so I would always scream his name so that he would inevitable have to look at me. That’s how we became friends. Aaaand then I set him up with this girl that he dated for two years. 

2. How did you guys start dating? 

Tom: Um, that girl and I broke up so then Bailey and I started hanging out because we were best friends. Our two best friends were like “hey, you should start dating” but for awhile I didn’t want to because I didn’t want to ruin the friendship..

Bailey: But I was like, come on, man up. 

Tom: Yeah, she was really gunning for it. ANd I was on that weird reboudn state. 

Bailey: don’t call me a rebound!

Tom: No, the other girls were the rebounds! You know that’s not what I meant. 

Bailey: It wasn’t until after he came back from vacation that it clicked in his brain that I’m awesome! 

Tom: Yeah, I got back from Disney and I was like wow. So I asked her out after I was all sweaty from marching band. 

*this was the summer before senior year* 

*Bailey then proceeded to ask if he remembered the date.*

He did! August 14th. 

3. What’s your favorite thing about each other? 

Bailey: Uhmmm… I guess I’m kind of obnoxious and he’s kind of shy. I like that it balances out. But, until you know him, he’s just as obnoxious. 

Tom: I like that she’s really caring and does anything possible to help her friends. Like yesterday she drove to Kutztown to help my friend, at 11:15 pm. 

4. What do you think is the general attitude towards relationships in college? 

Tom: Umm, I think a lot of people think that you’re like, missing out if you’re in a relationship and that you’re tied down but that’s not really the case. You don’t have to worry about looking nice and stuff if you want to get with someone. You can be drunk and sloppy and that’s fine. 

Bailey: I think with a lot of people, when you go to college they think that if they don’t find someone they will end up alone. It’s just complicated to some people, because they either rush into relationships or don’t believe in them. It was weird coming here dating already. People were like “Oh you’re one of those couples?”

5. How, if at all, has your relationship changed your attitudes towards college parties? 

Bailey: I guess that since you’re not just focused on yourself you have to ask yourself if they are okay, making sure they don’t blackout or anything. 

Tom: Yeah, we sort of work as a unit at parties. We watch out for each other and we make sure we’re having fun. We’re also more open to parties because we have two different friend groups, so there are different types of parties we go to. But in general parties are less stressful because we aren’t looking for someone to hook up with. I feel like if I was single I would probably be looking for someone. 

Bailey: Yeah, you don’t have to worry about who you’re going to talk to or who you’re going home with. 

6. Have you ever felt the pressure of going into the hookup culture since you started dating? 

Tom: I mean, we talk about it. About sometimes feeling like wanting to have a one night stand kind of thing.

*Bailey laughs* 

Tom: What? 

Bailey: Nothing, it’s just funny that we talk about it. But we did talk about it. We just didn’t do it. 

Tom: Yeah, we have the yearning for it sometimes. 

Bailey: I think it’s normal to think that you’re missing out on something. But.. I ain’t. I’d much rather be in my PJs and eat Chinese food in my bed. 

7. What has been your best date so far? 

Tom: I think my favorite was for our one year anniversary, we went to Cleveland to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It was like a graduation/anniversary/birthday present because she bought me my ticket. I’m into music and stuff so that was really exciting and it was our first time just the two of us doing something. I thought that was cool. 

Bailey: I think, probably….hmm….I think for my birthday last year, we went down to D.C. and just hit museums and stuff. It was my favorite because we actually had to do like adult things. We booked a hotel and we showed up and they didn’t let us in because we weren’t 21. So we were stranded and we had to find our own hotel. It was frustrating but also kind of funny. 

Tom: It was funny when I got my money back cause they charged me a cancellation fee even though it was their fault. We also had Applebes at like 10 pm at night becaues we couldn’t find another place open. Plus we got to learn about our nation’s history. 

8. How do you think that summer affects your relationship? 

Tom: Well, this summer we rarely saw each other. 

Bailey: This summer I worked from 6 am-10 pm and then afterwards I was tired so I didn’t have time to see him. 

Tom: Just the fact that there is less stress in our relationship over summer is nice, but other than that it’s the same. 

9. What would be a piece of advice you’d give to new college couples? 

Bailey: In college, you think that you can spend as much time with them as you want. But I would recommend not doing that because you’ll get super sick of each other. 

Tom: Yeah, make sure you have time for your space. Freshman year we spent too much time together. 

Bailey: I was BFFs with his roommate so we spent all this time with each other and so there was a time period where we kind of hated each other a little bit. We just didn’t have enough space.

Tom: Yeah, it’s healthy to have space and to be able to enjoy your own hobbies. 

10. What’s one fun fact about each other? 

Tom: Don’t say anything embarrassing. There’s way too many embarrassing fun facts about me. 

Bailey: Um…your fun Thomas history fact is that from about 7th grade to about 10th grade, on and off, you had hair that was like way too long. You also wore basketball shoes and just like jorts and a T shirt with a rock band on it. And, my god, I’m not kidding you.. if someone told me that I was going to be dating you, I’d be like, “no, I’m not!” 

Tom: I’m not embarrassed by that. That’s just like, whatever. Fun fact about Bailey… 

Bailey: Don’t say anything embarasing 

Tom: She has a weird thing for people with the name Tom. She had like 3 crushes on Toms. 

Bailey: You were my last choice. 

Tom: Yeah I was the last time she crushed on. 

I'm Darling, I'm 21 years old and I go to Muhlenberg College. I am a double major in Public Health and French.