Campus Celebrity: Melissa Falk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

When thinking about well-liked faculty on campus, Melissa Falk is one of the first people that comes to mind.  She is sweet, helpful, and very comforting.  For me personally, she has acted as a second mom away from home.  Since I’m from California, I sometimes get homesick knowing that I can’t just go home on a weekend to see my family.  But with Melissa at Muhlenberg, that feeling goes away.  She really looks after her students and makes sure that they are comfortable and okay no matter what.  She sets up California student meet-ups and dinners, and she’s even driven me to the airport before.  Because of her dedication to her students, I found it only fitting that she be featured on this blog. 

Sadie Katz: Where are you from?

Melissa Falk: Nesconset (Long Island), New York

SK: Where did you go to school and what did you study?

MF: Muhlenberg! I studied Psychology and English.

SK: How long have you been working in admissions in general? How long have you been working in Muhlenberg Admissions?

MF: This is my 23rd admissions cycle. A long time is my very short answer to that. I’ve only worked in admissions at Muhlenberg.

SK: Did you work anywhere before Muhlenberg?

MF: Nowhere else in admissions. But I did event planning at a private company for about 5 months before working at Muhlenberg.

SK: What is your favorite part of working in admissions?

MF: The students. It’s a really dynamic time for them, and being a student advocate is my favorite part of being in admissions.

SK: What is your favorite state to recruit in?

MF: My two favorite outreach states to recruit in are California and Illinois. I think it’s really exciting to work with students who are adventurous enough to attend college well beyond the immediate radius of their hometowns.

SK: What would you say your spirit animal is?

MF: An elephant. Elephants are mythically known for having good memories, and I have a good memory when I meet people. There’s also a tenaciousness and persistence to elephants that characterizes my style.

SK: If you were to sell Allentown to a prospective student with one local restaurant, what would it be?

MF: The place that I go with my family a lot is Biaggios. It’s family-owned, comfort food and casual.

SK: What’s your favorite dish there?

MF: Either the mozzarella caprese salad or the eggplant parm.

SK: Why do you think it is that you’re so special to so many Muhlenberg students?

MF: I just love students, and I’m not afraid to act like it. I hope they find me reliable too and can depend on me. People tell me that I’m their MuhlenMom!

Sadie Katz

Muhlenberg

Sadie is currently a Junior at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, Pennsylvania. She studies Media and Communications and Music. She was born and raised in Los Angeles, but NYC has stolen her heart. She loves the beach, fall, sushi, gnocchi, and most other foods. You can find her at Eataly in NYC in her spare time. Sadie hopes to live in NYC one day, working in either PR or social media.