Campus Celebrity: Joe Rorem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

You’ve probably seen him performing with Fun With Science! And if you haven’t, where on Earth have you been? Joe Rorem is a classic comedian. If you ever see him in the dining hall or walking on Academic Row, make sure to say hi. Also, he speaks fluent French.

Class year: 2017

Major and Minor: Double major in psych and French

Hometown: Princeton, NJ

Campus Involvement: Fun With Science! and French Club

Favorite ice cream: Chocolate Chip

Fun Fact: I’m learning harmonica.

Favorite spot on campus: Mule express and the dining hall swipe… Awa, Lydia, Jolene and Afaf make me smile every single day.

What’s currently on your Spotify playlist: Always Ben Folds. It’s never not Ben Folds.

Relationship status: Single

Best memory at ‘Berg: I remember how I got close with my good friend Jake Parisse like it was yesterday… I was at the gym with some other friends, and I saw him lifting weights. I’d met him about twice before that. I remember thinking “I’m making this choice right this second… I am going to be friends with this person!” I went over and stuck out my hand, and years down the line we’re best buds, doing comedy and rocking out together all the time. Glad I made that choice!

Where do you see yourself in 10 years: Using a PhD in psych to do some good in mental health.

Favorite professor: That’s not cool! Impossible to answer. I will say, though, recently Alexandra Frazer did me a huge solid becoming my thesis advisor, and getting to hang out with her all the time is going to be great. She’s so rad.

Favorite pick up line: I don’t really use any, but Jake and I went to this party at Skidmore a couple of months ago… he kept walking up to girls and saying “This is Joe.  He speaks fluent French!” and then walking away. It was hilarious.

Most embarrassing freshman year moment: My high school friend Alex and I posted a lot of jokes on the Class of 2017 facebook page… in hindsight, we were really annoying.

Current Netflix binge: Daredevil and The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

If you turned into a girl for a day, what is the first thing you would do? Not listen to any of the BS that our society tells women they need to do, need to look like, need to act like.  You are who you choose to be- that’s a human right for EVERYBODY.

What inspired you to go into your major: As a little kid whenever I felt sad I’d go and analyze it, wondering exactly why. Same thing when I got pumped up, or scared, or laughing really hard, like “Why do I feel emotions?”  It took me until high school to realize I could actually study that!