Wellness

Breast Cancer Awareness Month: How You Can Get Involved

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

October marks the beginning of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This month is a great time for students at different colleges and universities to get come together for a great cause.

Breast Cancer Awareness Month is not only about raising money for those that are ill, but about becoming self-aware and learning about the importance of getting tested. For those that know that breast cancer runs in the family, it’s even more important for you to know how breast cancer might affect you. Research shows that there will be an estimated 266,120 new cases of invasive breast cancer and 40,920 breast cancer deaths, according to the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

It is crucial to know whether or not breast cancer genetically affects your family. Personally, two very important women in my life have struggled with breast cancer, and I’ve heard too many stories of women’s pain throughout the treatment process. It hurt me to hear that my Bubbe, who is as strong as ever is recovering from her surgery. But even if breast cancer hasn’t affected anyone in your family, it doesn’t make you immune. Monthly self-examination and learning the symptoms of breast cancer are imperative to maintain a healthy and cancer-free life.

I can guarantee that your college or university is raising awareness for breast cancer, and I encourage everyone to get involved. Whether it be by donating to an organization, such as Susan G. Komen, or just educating yourself on the symptoms that could potentially help you save you or someone else’s life. Clubs and sports teams are actively raising money and awareness in support of this terrible disease that has greatly impacted our society.

For more information check out https://ww5.komen.org, and for more information on the importance of getting tested and how to perform self-examinations, check out https://www.hercampus.com/school/muhlenberg/beat-breast-cancer-get-tested.

Jordyn Kamis

Muhlenberg '21

¯_(ツ)_/¯