This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Marvel’s Black Panther, which premiered on February 16th, 2018, is a revolutionary 21st century film. Due to the underrepresentation of African American characters in most comic films, it is challenging for African Americans to relate to characters in the mass media. Director Ryan Coogler’s work is groundbreaking because Black Panther puts a black superhero front and center.

Black Panther takes on what it means to be black in today’s largely colonized society and sheds light on the issues that people of African descent face. In Time Magazine, Coogler explaines that “You have superhero films that are gritty dramas or action comedies,” but this film “[deals] with issues of being of African descent.”  

Although Black Panther brings issues of racism and discrimination to the surface, it is also quite entertaining and humorous. The movie delivers Hollywood with the  following message that black narratives can grant African Americans visibility in society, while also earning a profit for the studios which produce them. Moreover, this movie not only allows black viewers to feel like they matter, but also has a large impact on black entertainers and actors. During the Black Panther premiere party on January 29th, famous actors such as Oscar winner, Lupita Nyong’o, wore their hair naturally to send a message about feeling comfortable in their own bodies. They wanted to communicate that they were proud of being black. 

Although many appreciated the movie’s importance, there were some that were unhappy with the strong representation of black individuals and wrote a plethora of negative reviews. For example, a group of racist individuals on Facebook stated that, “Black Panther is a threat to the nation,” as it depicts an African King who can easily destroy anyone with his technological power. Critics said that, for those who simply want to watch the latest Marvel film without the involvement of politics, it is a frustrating film. However, in the midst of the societal chaos surrounding the movie, the message from Black Panther has not faltered. If anything, the message has strengthened. People who have been constantly treated as second-class citizens in America are joining together to fight for equality. Black Panther has served as an inspiration to individuals of various races.

Although many would say that American society has progressed since slavery was abolished, there is nonetheless more work to be done in our country. America is changing in unforeseen ways in the face of the Trump administration. After the 2017 backlash and riots in Charlottesville, people of different races, ethnicities, and nationalities are afraid to live in their own homes. African Americans, Mexicans, Muslims, and others are frightened for their lives, as Trump has made them his scapegoats and enables those who wish to perpetrate violence. The timing of this movie gives it more meaning because it proves that, despite Trump and the racist/discriminatory words of his supporters, all races are strong and can achieve success.

Noy Messinger

Muhlenberg '21

My name is Noy Messinger and I am a Sophomore double majoring in Media and Communications and History with a minor in dance. I am extremely passionate about dance. I have been dancing since I was two years old and was a participant in my high school’s performing arts dance program.  Additionally, I am passionate about history. I love learning about different cultures and discovering their pasts as well as information about my own heritage.  
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.