Billie Eilish’s New Album and the Future of Pop Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Billie Eilish is most known for her hit song “ocean eyes,” but with her new album that dropped March 29th, titled “WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?”, there are many new songs to jam to. Eilish explores different genres of music – she’s experimental with mixing up pop songs with electronic beats and alternative tones. She goes as far as to having dialogue from The Office running in between verses in “my strange addiction,” which elevates the song to another level with an iconic pop culture reference.

But aside from the music itself, the songs themselves, written by Billie and her brother Finneas, are quite thought-provoking and they really hit the feels (i literally have no other way of properly articulating that, but y’all know what I mean 100%). Songs like “8”, i love you” and “wish u were gay” have a relatively small amount of verses but are very deep in their emotional appeal, and the softness of Billie’s voice only enhances the emotions in the songs. And then there are songs like “bad guy” and “you should see me in a crown” that experiments with a deep base, and she takes on this badass kinda attitude.

Eilish has been exploding since the album’s release, and besides highly recommending that you listen to her music this minute, I also think everyone needs to keep an eye on her. Her unique voice and experimental sound at the age of 17 means there’s plenty more Billie in store for us.

Jordyn Kamis

Muhlenberg '21

¯_(ツ)_/¯
Hello! My name is Caroline Kinney, and I am the Campus Correspondent of the Muhlenberg Her Campus Chapter! I am originally from Leesburg, Virginia (D.C./Maryland/Virginia area) and currently a sophomore majoring in Theatre with a minor in Creative Writing. I am elated to be entering into this position at Her Campus Muhlenberg. My primary goals as the President/Editor-In-Chief of the chapter is to have an intersectionality approach to all of our content and to create a special bond between every team member in the chapter. Lover of corgis, guacamole, and intersectional feminism. I am so excited for this semester!