Style > Beauty

The Best Cruelty Free Makeup Brands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

As the consumer, using money wisely to support great brands is extremely important.

When supporting a makeup brand and it’s products, it is important to do research on how that makeup is created and the beliefs behind the company. A makeup company can have great products that may not be produced in the most humane way. Cruelty-free makeup brands are companies that value great products and safety. For a makeup brand to actually be considered cruelty free, it means that the brand does not test any of their products on animals. Some makeup brands are still testing their products on animals and using extracts from beetles and other bugs to create certain pigments. Here are some makeup brands that sell amazing products and are 100% cruelty-free!

Anastasia Beverly Hills

If you have ever walked into a Sephora or watched a makeup tutorial online, you have most likely heard of or seen Anastasia Beverly Hills products being used. The brand is mostly known for their incredible brow products, blendable contour kits, and blinding highlight palettes. The brand has openly stated and shown that they are completely cruelty-free. The brand also claims most of their eyeshadow palettes are vegan, which means that no animal products were used in creating the product. With the exceptions of beeswax and honey extract found in only a few products, the brand is mostly vegan and 100% cruelty-free. Their products range from mid to high prices and can be found online at Sephora, Ulta, and online.

Jeffree Star Cosmetics

With this company’s debut in 2014, the brand has remained completely cruelty-free AND vegan. Jeffree Star Cosmetics is known for their bright and bold color-schemed eyeshadow palettes, sparkly skin frosts, and amazing liquid lipsticks. For a company that is completely vegan, they are able to make super blendable and pigmented shades without the use of beetle extracts, unlike most makeup companies who use them in order to create the red, orange, and purple shades in their collections. Jeffree Star Cosmetics has completely mastered their seamless formulas, allowing customers to achieve radiant looks without the overbearing weight of animal cruelty on their shoulders.

Wet N’ Wild

While looking for a cheap but high-quality makeup brand, it is sometimes scary to think about the ingredients in such products. The drugstore price for Wet ‘N Wild products ranges from $5-$10, but the quality is through the roof. This top-rated drugstore brand is also absolutely cruelty-free and an amazing price. The brand is well known for their great foundations, highlighters, lipsticks, and other facial products. You can purchase Wet ‘N Wild makeup at any drugstore, Walmart, or Target for a great price and great products.

Carly Giacoio

Muhlenberg '22

Carly Giacoio is currently a junior at Muhlenberg College who originally is from northern New Jersey. She plans on graduating with an English major and Creative Writing minor. Carly also enjoys singing, composing music, and writing poetry in her free time.