This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

What’s better than casually reading through an awesome book AND decorating a bland room at the same time? Nothing! That is why the “coffee table books” industry has grown so popular!

A “coffee table book” is defined by the Collins Online Dictionary as “a large, expensive book with lots of pictures, which is designed to be looked at rather than to be read properly, and is usually placed where people can see it easily”. So, relying on that definition, I’ve compiled a list of my best “coffee table books”. 

Nasty Galaxy by Sophia Amoruso

Aside from having a glorious, baby-pink cover, the contents are pretty interesting, as well. Amoruso is the New York Times-best-selling author of #GIRLBOSS. In this work, she captures the spirit of totally awesome “girlbosses” everywhere. Nasty Galaxy is a truly inspiring book to add to your collection.

Studio 54 by Bob Colacello

The cover is a beautifully simple, yet chic rendition of the typical 70’s nightclub-sign font. Why, you may ask, does the font look like this? Well, it portrays the radiant club life during this time period. The book was actually named after a popular nightclub in Manhattan, New York City. Each page displays images of never-seen-before conversations between some of the country’s elite celebrities. Studio 54 is a must-have for every “coffee table book” fanatic.

Tree Houses: Fairy Tale Castles in the Air by Philip Jodido

Who doesn’t want to flip through the pages of every child’s dream while being hit with the comforting feeling of nostalgia? Jodido selected a variety of images captured of some of the world’s most beautiful living spaces and places them all into one outstanding book.

“Coffee table books” may not seem like a necessity, but I guarantee, after leafing through the pages of these books, you will change your mind.

Sources:

http://www.elle.com/culture/books/g13978774/best-coffee-table-books/

Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.