Style > Beauty

9 Makeup Products Every Girl (or Guy) Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

As a self-identified makeup enthusiast, I take pride in putting together a makeup look for all occasions. For those who are new to makeup, want to learn more about it, and how to get started, it can seem pretty daunting. Before purchasing any makeup, you should do some research. It is important to know your skin type and tone and understand what you do and do not feel comfortable putting on your face. Here are 9 makeup products that every beginner needs:

1. Moisturizer/Primer

Primer and moisturizer are incredibly important steps to provide a clean and smooth base for your foundation. Primers can do several things such as fill in pores and tame redness. If primers don’t do much for you, like myself, it is a must that your moisturize your skin. Make sure to use the proper products for your skin type. Moisturizer helps add moisture and hydration to your skin. 

Product Recommendations:

Milani Prime Perfection Hydrating + Pore- Minimizing Face Primer

Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 15

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel

Benefit POREfessional Face Primer

2. Foundation/Concealer

In my opinion, foundation and concealer are some of the most important products that every beginner should have. They cover up redness, blemishes, dark circles, and even out your skin tone. However, they can be tricky to find because foundations have different coverages (ex: light, medium, full) and finishes (ex: matte and dewy). It will take trial-and-error in order to find the perfect foundation for you. Some stores provide you with free samples of foundation so you can try them out. If you’re at the drugstore, hold the foundation bottle up to your jawline. The “rule” is that if you’re in between shades, always go with the lighter shade because you can easily darken your skin with bronzer. As for concealer, depending on the condition of your skin, you might need a light, medium, or full-coverage concealer. 

Recommendations:

Wet n Wild Photofocus Foundation

Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Foundation

Maybelline Fit Me Concealer

Tarte Shape Tape Concealer

3. Pressed Powder

A good powder is used to set any liquid products you put on your face, whether it be foundation, concealer or liquid highlighter. Even if you want dewy skin, setting your face “locks-in” your foundation and concealer. However, less is more. The more powder you put on your face, the cakier it will look.

Recommendations:

Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder

Bye Bye Pores Pressed Poreless Finish Airbrush Pressed Powder

4. Bronzer

For those fair-skinned people, bronzer is an important step for tanning up the skin and adding glow and dimension.

Recommendations:

Physicians Formula MuruMuru Butter Bronzer

Benefit Hoola Matte Bronzer

5. Blush

Blush adds color and glow to your skin, so that’s why it is a must.

Recommendations:

Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso

Nars Blush in Orgasm

6. Eyeshadow Palette

For beginners this aspect of makeup might seem incredibly daunting because it can be very intricate. Eyeshadow really helps make your eyes stand out and it truly puts the artistry in makeup. I understand that it definitely isn’t for everyone and can take some practice. But, once you get the hang of it, it can be a great way to express creativity. If you’re interested in practicing with eyeshadow, I would recommend neutral shades to start out. 

Recommendations:

Milani Everyday Eyeshadows

Urban Decay Naked Palette 

7. Mascara

Mascara is a must. Even if you don’t have any makeup on, it can make you look more put together. It makes your lashes beautifully long and voluminous, even if your lashes are short. 

Recommendations:

Voluminous Lash Paradise Mascara

Benefit Roller Lash Mascara

8. Red/Nude Lipstick

The best thing about a red lip is how versatile it is. You can wear it to work, school, or a night on the town. There are different shades that can flatter you complexion, so try out a few and see what you like. Nude lipstick is great for people who want a more natural look.

Recommendations:

Mac Retro Matte Lipstick in Ruby Woo

Mac Matte Lipstick in Honeylove

Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lipstick in All Fired Up

Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lipstick in Daringly Nude

9. Setting Spray

From my experience, setting spray is pretty new in the makeup community. Setting spray locks your entire makeup in place. There are certain sprays designed for oil-control and there are some that keep your makeup from moving. Whichever is your concern, you have plenty of options.

Recommendations:

Nyx Makeup Setting Spray in Matte

Urban Decay All Nighter Long Lasting Makeup Setting Spray

I hope you take some of these suggestions in order to start or further your makeup hobby. If you need help learning more about makeup, YouTube is a great platform.

Sources:

https://www.makeupgeek.com/content/makeup-basics/beauty-bite-color-match-foundation/

Emily Garber

Muhlenberg '21

Muhlenberg College Content Editor
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.