etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

12 Spring Break Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Whenever Muhlenberg waddles back to campus after a break, the almost unanimous answer to “How was it?” is “Not long enough.” My working theory is that in life, no timespan will feel long enough as long as you feel that something is unfinished. Following this logic, in order to feel satisfied with a break, you need to have finished something to look back at. So, without further ado, here are 12 calm, cool and creative ideas for what you can do over spring break! Who knows, maybe you’ll even end up surprising yourself.

1. Drop Your First Hit.

Make an a capella cover video. Cmon, you know your 14-year-old self would be proud. Don’t know how? Don’t worry! Here’s an easy how-to video that’ll take you through it. Easy peasy. 

2. Take the “omfgimsocold” out of “Camping.

Do it inside! (It’s still freezing outside. And plumbing is awesome.) Invite your local friends and make it a party, or only invite your dog and leave a sign that reads “no (more) humans allowed!”.

3. Go all Rory Gilmore.

Interview your parents, brothers and sisters like you’ve never met them before. When you spend so much time with people, sometimes you skip over the basics. What did your parents want to be when they were teenagers? Why is your brother’s sports team so important to him? If your mom won the lottery, where would she travel? Don’t stop til you learn something new.

4. Whip out the Whipped Cream.

Learn how to make that one family recipe that you love. Even if a family recipe is mac n cheese from a box. Invent version 2.0. Or, create your very own family recipe and introduce it tomorrow night! Here’s a link over to Pinterest to help you brainstorm. 

5. Take your Penmanship and Prose to the Post Office.

Write a letter to an older relative you never had much connection with. Assuming their vision’s okay, this can be much more meaningful and encourage deeper conversationo. I tested my own advice once and found out my conservative grandma used to date “TONS of suitors” and ran a family restaurant. We’ve been writing letters on and off for a year now.

6. Become a Movie Buff.

Watch each of the films that took home an Oscar this weekend. Or, feel like a film connosour and watch the American Film Institute’s “10 Greatest Films of All Time” 

7. Know Your Nation.

Learn all the state capitals here. Learn the presidents here. Learn ASL. I’m tackling that one with some friends right now, and it’s incredibly rewarding. Here is a link where you can even learn to sign the 50 states!

Also, it’s not a bad idea to read up on the current political climate… Better to learn now than when you’re 40.

8. Flake on your Phone.

Here’s a link to POPSUGAR’s 7-Day iPhone Detox. I love it! Challenge a friend to see who can go the longest without Instagram. Leave a note on your facebook that says “Don’t write to me, Argentina!”

9. Update your resume.

Seriously. That’s a huge stressor for a lot of people, it’s important to have, and when you finish it you can cathartically say, “it’s done”. Here’s a how-to from a website I recommend. 

10. Kick the Booty.

Do a 7-day fitness challenge. Ideas here, here and here! Imagine how proud you’ll be when they say “You did that? You’re crazy!” and you get to say “Yeah, I did.” ☺

11. Kick Paint the Bucket.

Make a bucket list jar. Hey, you can’t do ‘em all over break but what you end up writing down will give you a starting point. It’s also a nice chance to take a step back and remember who you are outside of your daily life. :-)

12. Join the HerCampus team!

Have a story to share? Like what you see on HerCampus Muhlenberg or think you can make it better? Contact felisawiley@hercampus.com to get the scoop.