10 Resolutions For a Better Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Coming back to school after being home for almost a month can be both exciting and scary. It’s exciting to be back at Muhlenberg, getting back into our old routine and being surrounded by our friends. As most of us usually do, we set resolutions that are supposed to make our year even better. Here is a list of 10 New Semester resolutions we should all have for 2016:

1.Take advantage of the beautiful Life Sports Center!

If you’ve never been there before, you should go. Not just for the smoothies at the LS Café, but to de-stress or clear your head. Spending an hour exercising is great for both your physical and mental health.

2. Create a budget for your Dining Dollars.

Not only is maintaining a budget in real important, it’s especially important in college when GQ is constantly open and the giant chocolate chip cookies are always there. Make it a goal this Spring to make your dining dollars last the entire semester.

3. Don’t wait for the right moment to wear an outfit you already have in mind!

If you spent some (or most) of your Christmas/New Year’s money on clothes, don’t waste your time waiting for the perfect occasion to wear it. Life is short! You should always look and dress nice, and you should do it for you!

4. Challenge yourself in a way you haven’t challenged yourself before.

If you’re always working out and finding ways to keep yourself busy, make sure you take some time for yourself. If you find that you have too much time to yourself, surround yourself with friends keep yourself busy. Try going to the CA for peace and quiet or take an art or theatre class. You’ll never know if you love something if you don’t try it.

5. Be straightforward about your feelings!

We don’t like it when someone puts us in a position where we have to guess how they are feeling, so why should we put someone else in that position? Whether it’s with that hot biology learning assistant you’ve been crushing on for months or a friend that’s done something to hurt you, life is so much better and easier when we are honest and direct about our feelings.

6. Don’t settle for anything less than what you want!

You deserve to be surrounded by people who will love and care for you the same way you care for them. Don’t settle for anything less! Friendship and love is a two-way street, my friends. Don’t make it a one-way.

7. Care a little less about what people think.

If you’re the type of person who is self-conscious about having a meal in the dining hall by yourself, put yourself out there and enjoy eating while watching your favorite show or videos on YouTube. If you go to the gym and see other people who are doing a much more intense workout than you, don’t worry about them and just keep working on your body! Everyone has different limits and different ways of going about things. It’s important that you do something you want without worrying about what others will think of you.

8. Dance wherever, whenever!

Dancing isn’t only for big parties.  It’s for ATO, Sig Ep, formals, and even just  your house/room. Dance a little more often, whether it’s with close friends or in your room by yourself in your underwear When you need to de-stress or just need a distraction from everything in life, you’ll feel much better after dancing.

9. Be genuinely kind to people.

Muhlenberg is small, we all know that. Although it’s sometimes a curse, it’s even more awkward when people walk across academic row and see someone but act like they don’t exist. Instead of pretending to go on your phone or just staring at your feet, why don’t you smile at them? They may be having a bad day, and your smile will go a long way. Be nice to people in the dining hall, those who work in GQ, even those who clean your building. Kindness goes a long way in life.

10. Live in the moment!

We don’t know if we’ll make it to 2017.Life is short and we never know who will still be around a year from now. Love your boyfriend or crush a little more, hug your friends and family a little tighter, and cuddle with your dog/cat a little more often. Enjoy every moment as if it’s your last. You’ll find that your life will be full of meaningful moments.

I'm Darling, I'm 21 years old and I go to Muhlenberg College. I am a double major in Public Health and French.