Networking In No Time: How to Network on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MTSU chapter.

Making connections is important, especially if you plan on going into a career that is not easy to find a job in. Your classmates could someday help you acquire your dream job. But how do you make connections? Well, you must network yourself.

Networking is not as scary as it may sound. In fact, you are mostly just putting yourself out there. You must meet new people, show them that you are a hard worker and have the portfolio to back it up. Here are some ways you can make connections here on MTSU’s campus:

1.Participating in clubs:

MTSU has a wide variety of clubs for every field of study. At the beginning of each semester, you can typically find tables set up in the Student Union, BRAGG building, and other buildings advertising their clubs. Every year MTSU hosts a Student Organization Fair outside of the Student Union where every club has the opportunity to advertise itself. It is a great opportunity to see what MTSU has to offer and get information on every club. Keep an eye out for these tables and interact with the club’s representatives will allow insight into whether or not the club interests you. If you miss out, you can always talk to your professors about any clubs that they would recommend.Remember, you do not have to be in a particular major to join specific clubs. You can be an animation major and join a journalism club, or a theater major and join a gaming club. So do not just join clubs that center around your major, join clubs that seem interesting to you! Some clubs have guest speakers that will give advice to those in their field, such as the MTSU ACM SIGGRAPH Student Chapter or The Tuesday Forum in the BRAGG building every Tuesday. Always talk to the speakers at the end of the meeting if they are available. Even if you do not know what to say, exchange business cards. Most of the time, these guest speakers will be happy to make a connection with you and answer any future questions you may have.

2. Creating business cards:

If you have a website showcasing your work, business cards are a great way to show others that you are serious. The format of your business card should be simple with an easy to read font and only the crucial information. Include your name, contact information, and website (if you have one). Once you have a business card created, you can print many copies right here on campus at Blue Print Solutions. Be sure to always have them with you. You never know when you might meet someone who will help you in the future.

3. Making a presence on social media:

You can not only create a presence on social media on campus, but you can do it anywhere you go. Social media is an integral part of today’s society and establishing yourself as a positive representation of a specific area of study does not go unnoticed. You can also join other websites, such as LinkedIn, that allow you to make connections with just about anyone in the world.

These are just a few ways you can network here on campus. Starting sooner, rather than later, will allow you to get ahead in your career. Even if you do not have an established portfolio yet, you can still make connections just by interacting with students and teachers on campus.

I am an animation major and art minor at MTSU.