Wellness

Keeping Your Head Above Water This Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MTSU chapter.

Finals Week is undoubtedly the most stressful week of any semester – exams, projects, and presentations seem to be coming out of nowhere and stressing us out like crazy. While it is important to stay focused and do the best you can for finals, it’s equally important to remember to take care of yourself. Here’s five tips to help you maintain a level head this Finals Week.

1. Prioritize Certain Finals

Let’s be real – some finals are more important than others, and sometimes you’ve just got to put one test before another. If you have an exam or project that needs extra attention, study for/work on it before other finals that might be less important.

2.  Make a Study Plan

Making a plan of when you’re going to study for certain classes is a good idea at any point during the semester, but can be especially helpful when it gets to be crunch time. Allot certain chunks of time and certain days to specific classes and projects, that way you can get all of it done in a timely manner and you don’t over or underdo it.

3. Ask For Help

Struggling to grasp a concept at the last minute? It may seem a little embarrassing to email a professor for help about a topic or project that you might feel you should’ve gotten the hang of a long time ago, but I promise, any decent professor doesn’t mind helping a confused or lost student. Don’t be afraid to email your professor, talk to them after class or go to their office during office hours and get the help you need. They want to see you succeed as much as you want to succeed.

4. Have a Little “Me Time”

Make sure to take some time for yourself during this stressful week. Go to the gym, do a face mask, or go out with friends – do something for yourself so that you’re not spending the whole week in stress mode. It’s also important to make sure that you’re eating enough, staying hydrated and getting a good amount of sleep – you can’t do well on a test when you’re so tired from staying up to study that you can’t keep your eyes open.

5. Don’t Panic

While this may be easier said than done, it’s important that you don’t drive yourself crazy over Finals. School is absolutely important, but so is your mental health, and it’s not the end of the world if you don’t do so well on a test or a project. Your worth is not based on your GPA – it will be okay, no matter what.

Morgan is a junior at Middle Tennessee State University and is the chapter co-founder and events manager for MTSU's Her Campus chapter. She's a Journalism major and Criminal Investigations minor - she dreams of being the next Keith Morrison. When Morgan's not writing articles or working the assignment desk for Middle Tennessee News on campus, you can probably find her reading, watching Netflix or playing The Sims.