Girl Holding Her Knees
Girl Holding Her Knees
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

End It For Good

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MTSU chapter.

Human trafficking, the modern-day slavery. Victims range from girls, boys and everyone in between, but what can we do?

The End It Movement was founded with the idea that one person in slavery is too many. It was founded in 2013 at a conference in which college students raised over $3.3 million in an attempt to end modern-day slavery. According to the website, enditmovement.com, there are more people trapped in these forms of slavery than ever before in human history.

The point of the movement is to bring awareness to slavery in all forms and to put an end to it. On February 13th of this year, the End It Movement will take over the world. You will see posts all over the web of red x’s on hands, shirts, hats, and more. The day is dedicated to sharing your lack of tolerance towards modern-day slavery. How does this help, though? By sharing a post with that red x and sharing the story, you can spread awareness and keep this crisis from growing. If you feel that that is not enough, you can also donate to the cause on the website.

Many people had no idea about the human rights issue before the movement started to form. in 2012. The very organizations that were ready to start the fight met in Atlanta and brought the End It Movement to life. On February 1, 2013, the first public view of the movement took place. In Times Square, the most advertised corner in the world, there were red x’s covering every screen. Then, the posting started. It raised questions and conversations within communities. By 2015, senators started taking notice. Senator Bob Corker took action and made America’s dedication law by creating the End Modern Slavery Initiative Act was born. By 2017, the world had started to take action. Ashton Kutcher sat in front of the United States Senate Foreign Relations Committee and gave a testimony on the horrors of victims in slavery while wearing the infamous red x.

While the movement is only in its seventh year, it has come a long way. The goal of the End It Movement is to see human trafficking come to an end within our lifetime. As of today, there are as many as 40 thousand people in slavery with 1 in 4 of those victims being children.

You can share your posts with #ENDIT or #ENDITMOVEMENT and follow the organization on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Taylor Lawson is a freshman at MTSU. She is the campus correspondent of MTSU's Her Campus chapter. Taylor majors in Journalism and aspires to become an investigative journalist. When not in class, she can usually be found napping, trying to make friends with everyone in her vicinity, or reading.