5 Tips to Help Overcome Writer’s Block

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MTSU chapter.

Sitting at that desk for 2 more hours with a “the”  written on your paper as beautiful as Spongebob’s is not going to get you anywhere. I know writer’s block sucks and guess who has it right now? Me. But this is what I will do to combat it. I’ll help you and me out. Here are 5 tips to combat writer’s block.

1. Take A Break and Relax

Your mind cannot constantly churn out ideas. Overworking your brain is unhealthy. If you keep staring at that paper and write one word over and over just to erase it, that is going to get you nowhere. Sometime’s ideas will come to you if you take your brain away from constantly going over the assignment at hand. Personally, some ideas come to me as I am walking to class or about to go to bed. These ideas sometimes even end up being the best ones. Do not be so hard on your brain, sometimes time is all you need.

1. Word Association and Free Write

This is a great way to get out any ideas on to paper. Write down everything. Right now in college, I am in a digital storytelling class. After only two weeks of being in the class, I am the most creative I have ever been. My professor encourages word association and scribbled out thumbnails. This idea for drawing translates to writing. With these two things you are able to comb through every idea, you have currently. Then you sift through what you have to get the golden one. By this spread of ideas, it will be enough to get you going.

3. Bounce Ideas off Friends

Friends are a good way to get feedback. A big reason for writer’s block is that we are scared of what we are creating. Writing is not a big monster.  If it is fear or success a good way to know what is coming in to see what people you know and trust has to say. Your friends can help you come up with ideas or expand upon them.

1. Change Location

If you write at the same desk every day there is no inspiration in that. With new environments comes new influences. In Henneke Duistermaat’s article, she also talks about going to a bookstore. Rather than this being a new solution, I believe this is an example of changing location. Bookstores are comfortable, and usually, have an area for coffee or tea. Not to mention there is a library at your disposal to help you out. Back at your boring desk, you see the same pictures and textbooks you have lying around. Location is a big garden of information. If you keep trying to grow items in the same spot that isn’t really worth your time.

1. Think of Ideas Away from the Work

You always hear people talk about how an idea came at them at three in the morning, and they had to get up to write it down. This always happens to me. These ideas like I said in the beginning usually end up being the greatest. Your mind isn’t focused on the assignment and gives it breathing room. Just make sure you have your phone or pen and paper around. A relaxed brain has time to think and push out ideas.

Sydney is a Visual Communications major at MTSU and a former co-correspondent to the MTSU HerCampus Chapter. She aspires to be a magazine designer or an illustrator. She also works as a designer for MTSU's school newspaper. In her free-time, she enjoys creating collages in photoshop while listening to Twenty One Pilots.