oscar 3679610 1920?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
oscar 3679610 1920?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

Your Guide to Throwing an Epic Oscars Viewing Party + 4 Delicious Drink Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

When attending a historically women’s college, it’s pretty much an obligation to watch the Oscars this year and root for Greta Gerwig’s Little Women. Let’s be real, at this point most of us can recite Jo’s “I’m so sick of people saying that love is just all a woman is fit for,” speech. Although not nominated for Best Director, Little Women is nominated in 6 other categories, including Best Picture. 

The incredibly disappointing lack of female nominees in the Best Director category (for the third year in a row, might I add) is inexcusable, especially considering the incredible work of female directors on major films this past year, including but not limited to: Hustlers, Booksmart, Harriet, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, The Farewell, and A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. If this isn’t disappointing enough, let me add that only five women in history have been nominated for the director Oscar, with a whopping ONE female winner in all 92 years of Academy Awards Ceremonies. 

Although awards season brings to light just how far we still have to go, it also provides an opportunity to start having these conversations. Despite all of the controversy, the Oscars are a fun way to come together with friends and bond over a shared love of film. Even if you’re just tuning in to create your own red carpet best and worst dressed list, here’s a guide to throwing a college student-friendly Oscar Sunday get together with all of your friends and hallmates!

First let’s talk about drinks! Since you’re probably tired of the dining hall soda machine, try making some fun mocktails in your residence hall kitchenette. Let’s be real, you probably don’t have access to a shaker, muddle, or fancy glasses, so you’ll have to rough it. But that’s what college is all about, right? 

Cosmopolitan Magazine has some incredible non-alcoholic mixed drink recipes, so I’ve selected my favorites to share:

1. Blueberry Julep

“In a large glass, muddle ¼ cup blueberries; 6 mint leaves; half a lime, cut into wedges; and 1 teaspoon sugar. Transfer to a tumbler or mug, and add crushed ice and 7 oz. ginger beer. Garnish with a sprig of mint and lime wedge.”

2. Sparkling Watermelon Breeze

“Muddle a few cubes of watermelon and a few sprigs of mint in a glass. Fill glass with ice and top with Lemon Spindrift. Garnish with a small wedge of watermelon and mint leaves.” 3. Pippilotta Smash

“In a shaker with ice, shake 1 ½ oz. grapefruit juice, ¾ oz. lime juice, 1 oz. simple syrup, and a sprig of mint. Strain into a glass with crushed ice, and garnish with a fresh mint sprig.”

4. Hot Buttered-Spiced Apple

“In a pan, combine 1 cup unfiltered apple juice; the juice of half a lemon, plus 1 strip of its zest; the juice of half an orange, plus 1 strip of its zest; half a cinnamon stick; 1 whole clove; 2 allspice berries; and ¼ teaspoon fennel seeds. Simmer over a medium heat for 20 minutes, but do not allow to boil. Ladle the liquid into a heatproof glass or mug, leaving the zest and spices in the pan if you wish. Add about half a teaspoon of butter to the glass, and garnish with a cinnamon stick.”

Now, for what to wear! Don’t let the image of a formal black-tie soirée make you feel like your party has to be stuffy. A comfy dress code can be just as much (if not more) fun. Invite everyone to wear their favorite PJs, fuzzy socks, and slippers. 

Tell everyone it’s B.Y.O.B, meaning Bring Your Own Blanket. Get cozy in your common room and pass around classic movie theater snacks like popcorn with your favorite candy to accompany your fancy drinks. Cast your votes for the winners of each category while enjoying the pre-show red carpet… and before you know it, the show is beginning!

XOXO,

Adele 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com

Adele Cardani

Mt Holyoke '22

Hi, I'm Adele! Fashionista. Coffee shop connoisseur. Glossier fanatic. Diet Coke addict. VSCO photographer. Spotify playlist maker. Amateur gluten-free baker. Aspiring world traveler. Instagram @adelecardani
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.