You Made Me Question My Ethics – Here’s Why.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

If you haven’t started the Netflix series You, this is a sign that you should stop reading this article—it has spoilers. Instead,grab a device and start binge-watching. I started You in the summer of 2019 after I had completed my IGCSE and had nothing to do. I was looking for something I would find casual but engaging. You seemed like the combination of this, but I was unprepared for the mind games. You is a series about a bookstore manager, Joe Goldberg, who starts crushing on a lady named Beck. In the beginning, it seems like Joe wants to have a simple relationship with Beck, but things take a wild turn when he starts stalking her on social media and eliminating those who seem like obstacles. I find You particularly interesting because, unlike all the other obsession-focused movies/shows I have watched, You is the only one that shows it from the perspective of the obsessor. I was confident that I would hate Joe Goldberg and wish he’d get caught. However, I found myself empathizing with him. 

Before I started You, I believed that there was no justification for murder unless it was for self-defense. Yet, while watching it, I never faulted Joe. When Joe murdered Benji, I excused it by arguing that Benji was a lame boyfriend to Beck. When Joe killed Peach, I justified it by saying Peach was controlling and also creepy. When Joe killed Ron, I excused Ron’s death by stating how much he abused Paco, Joe’s neighbor. I found myself doing this unintentionally, and I was shocked when my friends informed me. 

Were my ethics not as grounded as I thought they were or, are the writers of You so good at messing with my mind? I think the answer is both. I still believe that murder is a horrible thing to do but, to what extent do I hold this belief? If I had just heard of Joe as a murderer who became obsessed with a woman, I would have probably screamed, “Let him rot in jail!” However, You showed me how much perspective can affect the way I view situations. By watching You from Joe’s perspective, I’m aware of his pain, insecurities, and thoughts before he commits these crimes. My mind is tricked into thinking that Joe is committing crimes because he has no choice, not because he is evil. 

Kudos to the creators of You for making such a beautifully scripted show. Also, for making me aware of how easily influenced my ethics can be. You season 3 is coming out in less than a week. I can’t wait and I hope you can’t too!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.

Hi there! I am a Mount Holyoke student who is an ABBA enthusiast. I love binge-watching multiple shows, eating cereal, and scrolling through Tiktok. I hope to have a collection of ABBA, The Beatles, and Queen merch before I am 21.