This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Broad City, a comedy starring Ilana Glazer and Abbi Jacobson, had its series finale on March 28. The show revolves around the troubles and triumphs of living in New York City in your 20s. It is a brilliantly crafted show that is hilarious, cringey, relatable, and heartbreaking all at once. I highly recommend you watch it. Here are some reasons why!

1. Ilana Wexler

Ilana is loud, obnoxious, and often very sexual. But she also takes no bullshit and stands up for herself and Abbi constantly. It’s seriously inspiring how she always bounces back after hardship and how she knows what she wants and works hard to get it.

2. Abbi Abrams

Abbi is usually Ilana’s foil. She has much more of a moral compass and sometimes reluctantly goes through with Ilana’s elaborate plans. However, she is equally as rebellious and finds herself in embarrassing situations like when she gets too intense and competitive at her job’s field day.  

3. Female friendship

It’s really refreshing to watch a show based on female friendship, especially because every episode has scenes that pass the Bechdel test. The Bechdel test has 3 rules: the scene must have at least two women in it, they must be talking to each other, and it must be about something other than men. Abbi and Ilana’s friendship is so pure and loving and they would absolutely do anything for each other. As they both struggle with their issues throughout the show, the strength of their friendship always gets them through.

4. It is incredibly relatable

Some of the premises of the episodes are unique to the show (and too outrageous to  happen in real life), but most are relatable in the way they discuss their bodies, their relationships to different men, their desire for financial stability, and their love for each other. One of the reasons the show is so funny is because I can relate to their struggles and their fight to make a better life for themselves.

5. It’s hilarious

It’s difficult to watch this show without cracking up every five minutes. The writing is amazing, the jokes are original and creative, and it never fails to make me laugh.

Now that the show has ended, it is the perfect time to binge watch the entire series from the beginning (available to watch on Hulu). It’s a great show to watch to unwind at the end of the day because it’s guaranteed to make you laugh. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Happy watching!

Image credits: X, X, X, X, X

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Elle Provolo

Mt Holyoke '22

I’m a sophomore at Mt. Holyoke. I am an environmental studies major. I love running and baking.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.