This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Should You Try Ordinary Skincare Products? 

Ekaterina Bolovtsova via Pexels

The Ordinary, the jaw-droppingly affordable skincare brand, is a few years old already. Can you believe it? Industry insiders, skincare obsessives, and dermatologists alike are firm fans of the brand, beloved for simple and straightforward formulations that are filled with some of the most tried-and-true active ingredients out there. They offer smart products that rely on quality ingredients such as alpha and beta hydroxy acids, squalane, peptides, retinol, vitamin C, and more, all at lower prices compared to many other options.

Chill Jane via Pexels

But if you don’t know your alpha-arbutin acid from your alpha-lipoic acid, it can all seem a bit daunting. The Ordinary was founded to offer results-driven products at an affordable price. The only catch is that you need to know your ingredients since most of the formulations feature just one or two standout ingredients meant to deliver targeted, specific results.

Park Street via Unsplash

I have recently gotten into The Ordinary over quarantine and have seen noticeable improvements and results from their skin products. My skin is highly sensitive, hence why the transparency in my skincare products is so important to me. If you feel the same way, I recommend The Ordinary brand as it has truly changed my skincare routine. 

skincare product in front of leaves outside
Emily Nelissen

To help you out with identifying the key ingredients that you need for your skincare, here are some recommendations for specific serums by The Ordinary: 

• The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 

• This is a lightweight serum containing different-sized hyaluronic acid molecules that penetrate to different depths. (As we know, hyaluronic acid attracts 1000 times its weight in water.) Vitamin B5 works on the surface to enhance hydration and soften the appearance of fine lines and leave skin feeling smoother. Use this morning and night before oils and creams; it’s a great way to add extra hydration to the skin. ($7 at Ulta and Sephora) 

• The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% and Zinc 1% 

• Choose this serum if your concerns are blemishes and skin congestion. The zinc is there to reduce the skin’s sebum activity so your skin won’t get quite so oily during the day. Niacinamide also tackles fine lines and dullness so expect your skin to generally just look more even and glowing. Use morning and night before heavier oils and creams. ($6 at Sephora) 

• The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA 

• If pigmentation is your concern then this serum is for you. The alpha-arbutin travels down to your melanocytes (the cells responsible for melanin production) and stops them from working, which means pigmentation production will be inhibited. Use morning and night before oils and creams. You can also use it as an SPF in the morning after applying your final skincare product. ($9 at Ulta) 

Emily Nelissen

If you are interested in trying out some of the Ordinary products I suggested here is the link! Hopefully these products as well as they have helped me. 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.  

Amanda Thibodeau

Mt Holyoke '24

Intending to major in History and Education Just a girl who loves to listen to music and watch films
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.