Why Pokémon Go Isn’t Necessarily a Waste of Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Lately my friends and I have been noticing the growing presence of middle schoolers and non-Mount Holyoke students on campus during the evening. We’ve discovered that they’re here to catch pokémon. If you peer over their shoulders, you’ll notice that they’re on an app called Pokémon Go. Pokémon Go is a smartphone app based on the popular anime series and videogame Pokémon. In this fictitious world, there are trainers who catch different species of pokémon using pokéballs. The captured pokémon earn the trainer candies which can be used to evolve the pokémon. Trainers can also place their pokémon in gyms to either train or battle the other players. The Pokémon Go app creates a virtual reality in which the person playing the game is the pokémon trainer, and due to the smart phone’s GPS tracking feature enabled by the app, can catch pokémon that appear in their proximity.

Pokémon Go isn’t just for middle schoolers. There are a number of Mount Holyoke students that enjoy playing it as well. Several people I know recently went to a College Town Lure Night in Northampton, and there was another successful one in Amherst. Lures, which are used to attract pokémon to a certain location, were placed around the 30+ main pokéstops around the local businesses downtown, bringing the community together for a night of Pokémon Go. Parents brought their children, college students showed up in cosplay, and stores gave away free pins and temporary tattoos.

Photo credit: Mae Humphreville ‘19

There are of course many others whose idea of a night out has nothing to with Pokémon Go. I’ve even heard some say that the game is a waste of time or useless. However, for many people, playing Pokémon Go is far from that, and here are a few reasons why:

1) It is simply a fun way to destress. Being able to catch pokémon in real life and being a pokémon trainer is something that many have always dreamed of doing as they grew up watching Pokémon as a child. With the combined stresses of adulting and overall busyness, sometimes it’s nice to be able to go back to that childhood mentality and nostalgic excitement.

From the Mount Holyoke College Archives and Special Collections website: Speaking of Pokémon, there are many to be found down in the archives! Stop by to check out our exhibits and postcards, and maybe you’ll find a new friend (like this Pidgey that landed on a 1959 newspaper we were reading) along the way.

2) It forces people to go outside. In order catch pokémon, trainers must go outside and look for them. To hatch an egg, the trainer must walk 2, 5, or 10 kilometers. Searching for pokémon around campus can also be a great way to help combat the Freshman 15.

3) It allows people to meet others who have the same or similar interests. Running into another person at a pokéstop or gym is a great excuse to socialize. It becomes an automatic topic of conversation and perfect opportunity to meet new friends. Whether we realize it or not, being around people can contribute to our happiness.

Lucie (Caroline) Combemale ’19

4) The game also allows players to be a part of a team. Upon reaching Level 5, Professor Willow introduces the trainer to his three assistants, who each lead one of three teams trainers choose to join. Team Valor is lead by Candela, who values natural power and true strength. Team Instinct is led by Spark, who values trust and intuition. Team Mystic is lead by Blanche, who values calmness, wisdom, and intellect. Team members use their shared strength by working together to take over gyms. Working towards common goals and feeling a sense of belonging, even in a very casual and virtual setting, is always valuable.

Playing Pokémon Go can be a lot of fun. Among college students, the app has more of a reputation for being a way to kill time while waiting for the PVTA than being an uncontrollable addiction. Even if you still remain uninterested in downloading Pokémon Go, realize that it can be enjoyed at varying degrees, and many people benefit from it in small yet valuable ways.

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Kalea Martin

Mt Holyoke '19

Buongiorno! I'm Kalea. I love dogs, ice hockey, and breakfast. My skills include giving hugs and singing Les Mis in the shower.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.