Why Medical Dramas Will Never Run Out Of Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Since the first episode of Dr. Kildare in 1961, medical TV dramas have taken over our TV screens. From Grey’s Anatomy to Chicago Med, we can’t seem to get enough of them. 

I believe the tension will be the main reason why this genre of TV drama will forever capture our attention. Most people love to watch shows or movies where every moment feels like the climax. In medical TV dramas, people are either being rushed to the emergency room or the doctors are looking for the cause of a wide variety of symptoms. If you like your TV shows extra dramatic, you might see a few episodes where there is a train wreck or even a plane crash. 

Whether we like to admit it or not, there is something attractive about people saving lives. When doctors scream words like, “push 2 of epi and one of dopamine!” It sounds really good. Look at them, remembering all the things they learned in medical school and saving someone’s life. Let me fill you in on a little secret: after watching the first two seasons of Grey’s Anatomy, I wanted to be with a doctor. 

Human anatomy is interesting. Therefore, anything that studies it will also be interesting. No, I do not mean med school. That might be interesting for some people. I was talking about stories. Although I never wanted to be a doctor as a child, I always found YouTube videos on rare diseases or conditions particularly interesting. Medical TV dramas have exposed me to all kinds of conditions I never heard about. If some of these conditions are not true, then the writers did a terrific job convincing the audience otherwise. 

Lastly, they scare us and give us hope at the same time. Since I became engrossed in medical TV dramas, I find myself getting scared over the slightest inconvenience. If I have a headache, my mind goes to a brain tumor. If my chest hurts, I think of a heart attack. I believe everyone should take their health very seriously but these TV dramas have created some anxiety. At the same time, it feels good to see doctors think of the impossible and save a patient from the brink of death. Yes, I know these dramas were created to be extra dramatic but I hope the real world is like that.

If you have never watched a medical TV drama, that’s okay! It is never too late. I hope these reasons will convince you to start. I recommend starting with Chicago Med or New Amsterdam. Grey’s Anatomy is amazing but it goes a little overboard after a few seasons. If you love medical TV dramas, like me, I would love to hear a few suggestions. 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.  

Hi there! I am a Mount Holyoke student who is an ABBA enthusiast. I love binge-watching multiple shows, eating cereal, and scrolling through Tiktok. I hope to have a collection of ABBA, The Beatles, and Queen merch before I am 21.