Why Learning Languages is More Important Than Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

(quoteaddicts.com)

The morning after Election Day, I had an 8:35am French class. Our professor thanked us for showing up because it was hard getting out of bed that day, and emotions were running high. She reminded us that even though we were upset, we could not let that get in the way of our education by not coming to class and giving the patriarchy that power over us. She told us to “find comfort in the fact that learning a language is one of the best responses to what’s happening in the world right now.” As a Romance Languages & Cultures major, Professor Shread’s words resonated with me, and I thought it was important to explain her not-so-obvious point about the importance learning languages.

Learning languages has the potential to help us develop our identities as cosmopolitan citizens in a global context. English alone is not enough. Monolingualism can come across as a sign of inflexibility, insensitivity, or arrogance. It’s also dangerous because much that is essential to our society’s well-being and interests, including effective choice in policy, cannot be achieved in one language alone. Globalization means that businesses and other employers increasingly need foreign language skills. Increased foreign trade, closer European links, the effects of globalization and even the war on terrorism will increase the demand for skilled linguists in an increasing range of languages. So knowing foreign languages is an important economic and political asset.

Multilingualism also fosters a spirit of cooperation. It encourages us to respect the attitudes and customs not only of other countries but also of the different communities making up their respective society. With developing linguistic competence comes an enhanced awareness of another culture, which enables us to gain access to and participate in that culture. It allows us to understand others both literally and figuratively and to earn mutual respect. In this way the wider society becomes more open, democratic and inclusive. Learning a foreign language and getting soaked into an entirely new culture and worldview is the surest way to become an open-minded, understanding individual. Once we experience that fact we are all cultural beings, products of our own environments, and recognize the cultural base for our own attitudes and behavior, we are able to consider others in a more favorable light.

I think that sometimes students get caught up in the vocabulary and the grammar of a language, or getting their study abroad requirement. They forget to stand back and realize what they’re accomplishing and contributing to our society, but it’s important to realize how many doors they’re opening for themselves and for our future.

(quotes.lifehack.org)

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Kalea Martin

Mt Holyoke '19

Buongiorno! I'm Kalea. I love dogs, ice hockey, and breakfast. My skills include giving hugs and singing Les Mis in the shower.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.