This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

ASMR is one of those things that people enjoy but never admit to enjoying, and I want to try and stop that. I only really got into listening to ASMR this semester, but it has helped me with both focus and sleep, which, given the times we are currently in, is incredibly valuable. I’m going to say watching and listening interchangeably, because sometimes I only listen, but all the ASMR I consume is on YouTube. When I first dipped my toes into the world of ASMR, I was only really listening to ones that had no speaking in them. Sometimes mouth sounds bother me and I was initially turned off to ASMR due to that reason. After watching the wordless ones for a while, I got recommended some talking ones for sleep, and since I struggle a lot with insomnia, I decided to try it out. I always wish I was someone who could get into sleep meditations and the like, but the loose nature of just focusing on the breath or having to self-direct the meditation made it too difficult to keep up with. I first watched a “sleep therapy” video, and it helped me relax before bed in a way that I hadn’t experienced in a while. My anxiety often makes my mind race before I go to sleep, making it harder to get comfortable and go to bed, so these types of videos have been a godsend as of late. 

girl reading on train
Photo by Will Tarpey from Unsplash

I also listen to ASMR when I study, especially the kind that has typing in the background or something similar. It makes me feel like I’m in the library or at a cafe when I’m really just sitting in my room. I used to listen to music when I studied or did homework, but since I’m a musician, I always get sidetracked and just pay attention to the song, even if it has no words. I don’t mind quiet talking in these ASMR videos because they end up adding to the ambiance of being in a place with other people working. I haven’t delved super deep into the community and I pretty much only watch Gibi ASMR, but ASMR has really helped me during this stressful time and I’m sure I’ll continue to use it to study and relax in the future. There are so many different kinds of ASMR out there that if you’re even just a little bit interested in it, there’s sure to be something out there that you’ll like. Good luck, and happy listening/watching!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com

Annabelle Mackson

Mt Holyoke '23

Hi, I'm Annabelle (she/her) and I'm a sophomore at Mount Holyoke! This is my first semester writing for HerCampus and I'm excited to contribute to this group!
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.