This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

During this time of social distancing, it can be hard to take your mind off of… well, everything going on right now. One of the main ways that I’ve been taking my mind off of this pandemic is through movies and shows, but I guess that’s not really a surprise to anyone. However, one way I stay in touch with some friends now is by watching a movie or show “together” and then later talking about it. With being cooped up in the same place with the same people, it’s nice to see a different face every once in a while and it really brightens my day. So, here are some recommendations of things to watch with a friend or even a family member. 

SKAM (Norway)

I had to put this show on the list as I am currently watching this web series with a friend and loving it. I don’t want to give too much away, but the show follows a group of friends in high school in Norway navigating the drama and parties that come with being a teen. Each season follows a different member of the friend group and each episode ranges from 15-30 minutes long. Each episode flies by and you’ll be hooked after episode one! 

Locke and Key

This one I watched with my sister and we both loved it more than we expected to. When I first saw the trailer I thought it looked like a knock off version of House of Anubis, an old Nickelodeon show, however, in reality there are very few similarities. This show is about the Locke family moving into their father’s family home (Key House), where magical keys allow the Locke kids to do various things like change their identity, turn into a ghost, or even physically go inside someone’s head. But not all is fun and dandy as an echo stuck at the bottom of the well is accidentally set free and seeks revenge. It had me hooked right away, and seeing as this is based off of a graphic novel series, you can definitely bet that I’m going to be reading it in the future. 

The Good Place

Now I know I’m late to the game in watching/recommending this, but it is truly light-hearted and is a golden nugget in comedy TV. If you haven’t watched, it follows a group of four who have died and are sent to the good place for the afterlife. It talks a lot about morals and ethics, but somehow is never dull or boring. With each episode being 25 minutes, it is very easy to just keep watching, and sometimes I really did not want to stop even if I was falling asleep watching. 

Frozen II

Freshly added to Disney +,  this is a great one to watch with any friends or family. I didn’t get a chance to see this one in theaters so watching with my animation-loving sister on our couch was a nice spin to how we usually watch new releases. I am a big fan of the original movie and honestly I didn’t enjoy this one as much as the original, however, it was still an overall fun and good film filled with great songs. It even made me wish I were a kid so I could fit into the inevitable Elsa and Anna costumes next Halloween! 

Happy watching and I hope wherever you may be, that you are staying healthy and remembering first and foremost to take care of yourself! 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.    

Michaela Phelan

Mt Holyoke '22

I am an International Relations major who just really likes to read, listen to music, and watch tv.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.