This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

It was junior year of high school and the snow was beginning to trickle down from the grayish sky. My friend Jenny asked if I needed a job for the holidays. Her sister, Laura, the manager of Yankee Candle, needed help for the busy holiday season. At the time, I thought the job would be seasonal, but I ended up working at Yankee Candle for two years and I’m still working there now. 

As a Yankee Candle employee, I would say my expertise on candles is top notch. Thus, I thought why not share some tips and tricks I’ve learned over the past two years so you too can be a pro candle user! 

• Always Wait To Blow Your Candle Out Until It Reaches the Edge 

• If you blow out your candle too soon, the wax on the edges won’t melt. This causes a ring of wax to remain on the surrounding edge of your candle. As a result your candle will tunnel because it can’t burn the wax from the last time you used it. You won’t get your money’s worth because you can’t burn the entirety of the scented wax. 

• Make Sure To Always Cut Your Wick Before You Burn It 

• I cannot stress enough how important it is to cut your wick between each time you burn a candle. When you cut your wick make sure it’s at an angle and that the wick is not too short or too long. It is easier for the flame to take to the wick when the string is at an angle. Additionally, if the wick is too short, your candle may not light but if it’s too long, your flame will get too high. At Yankee Candle we have specific wick trimmers that do the job perfectly that allow you to reach deep within the candle when you burn the majority of the wax. 

• Always have an Aluma Lid On Your Jar While Burning 

• Aluma Lids are an add-on to the top of your large candle. One can put this accessory on the top of their jar to produce a more even burn and prevent soot from getting on your ceiling. Not only are they beneficial in the burning process but they add an aesthetic look to your candle. Aluma lids are really helpful! 

•  If You Ever Want A Specific Scent, Ask An Employee

• More often than not you may be looking for your favorite fall scent. If you can’t find it on the shelves, here’s a secret: it’s probably in the back room. Sometimes, during the holiday season especially, it is difficult to maintain the cash register, customer service, and shipment. If you need a certain scent, don’t be afraid to ask an employee and if we can’t find it we can ship it to you directly – free shipping, too!

• Try Soy Wax Candles, They Will Change Your Life 

• I know we all love the traditional Yankee Candle but we also sell other brand candles at our store that are amazing! Chesapeake Bay Candles are a soy blend wax candle that uses 100% essential oils. They are literally my favorite type of candle at our store because they smell natural and make me feel calm. If you want a calming scent then Chesapeake Bay Candles are for you! 

Nordstrom

I hope you enjoy these tips and tricks and maybe you’ll try them out for yourself!  Candles can really help you relax or set an ambience within your living space. I know that it can make a big difference in my mood so why not burn your candles with care as well. 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com   

Amanda Thibodeau

Mt Holyoke '24

Intending to major in History and Education Just a girl who loves to listen to music and watch films
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.