Victoria’s Guide to the Songs You Need to Start Spring Right, Son!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

I promise you, Spring is right around the corner, just a few days ago, even, I saw some flower bulbs! Naturally, during this exciting time of new found beauty from the coldness of winter, you also want to change up your music taste while still getting exciting for the prospects of Spring: bird calls, end of school, warm days and breezy nights, Spring fruits, and the colors that will surround you. Below I’ve made an eclectic (to say the very least) playlist some music that will get you in the mood for Spring. From Vivaldi to Zeppelin to James Blake, you won’t be missing out of the hot hits that will Spring you into… well… Spring!

• The Four Seasons: Spring by Vivaldi 

The perfect way to begin the Spring is to begin with a classic, a real classic. Vivaldi’s Spring movement incorporates pastoral melodies and singing harmonies to create a beautifully flowing sound to welcome the arm the of Spring! 

• Cats and Dogs by The Head and the Heart

With rooster calls in the background, this song really shoots you into Spring by setting you on a lovely warm farm with rolling mountain views in front of you. It gives you the warm and fuzzy feeling inside because it reminds you of the wonderful comfort of animals and the warm sweet breeze of the dewy grass surrounding you.  

• La Llorona by Beirut

Beirut is known for incorporating Latin themes into their music. This is because the leader of the band, Zach, grew up in New Mexico, and was heavily influenced by Latin music. The beauty of the song is the smooth and bellowing trumpets and horns that make you feel like you’re at a warm carnival. The song’s colors are reds and yellows with a sun kissed rhythm. This song really is appropriate for the warm days of summer when you’re driving in your car, top down, and just singing along to the music. 

• Campus by Vampire Weekend

Duh! If you’re a college student you have to listen to Campus because there is nothing about Vampire Weekend that doesn’t just scream Spring. The upbeat harmonies and melodies certainly will you put in the mood that Spring is coming! 

• Australia by the Shins 
  • Sometimes, The Shins are known for their obscure melodies, but not Australia. In this song, they do a smashing job at pumping you up with their soft rock, art pop vibe with a catchy melody you’ll be singing for ages.  

• Formation by Beyoncé

Of course, you must listen to Beyoncé this Spring. If you don’t, it’s almost sacred lions because of her ubiquity for all seasons. However, Formation was recently elevated, and the video takes place in New Orleans, which is rarely ever cold, so it will certainly warm you up and rile you up with some social justice messages too.  

• Cecilia by Simon and Garfunkel

A classic (not like Vivaldi, rock wise this time). Cecilia has upbeat drum tempos that make you want to get up, dance and sing along. Its soft strumming of the accusations guitars will have you going for bike rides and those warm breezy runs through the park in no time.  

• Always Gold by Radical Face

The vocal harmonies with the piano accompaniment will put you into that dozy state of lazy Spring afternoons. It will make you reflect on the greatest things in life, with soul touching lyrics, Radical Face never fails in moving us to places we could never think music could take us. Following the joys of a family, this song talks about a boy’s early childhood growing up, the aches and the pains. 

• Upside Down and Inside Out by OK Go

Watch the video. This song is…. Crazy. To say the least. With “don’t stop, can’t stop it’s like a freight train!” and “inside down and upside out”, the song is absolutely world rocking. The music is completely chaotic and dynamic. It will totally throw you out on your head and out of those wintery blues.  

• Man on Fire by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

This song is very different from OK Go’s, however, it gives you that silly kid vibe that bluegrass music usually has accompanying  it. It has a swingy melody with deep meaning to its lyrics, so there’s no way you can ever get tired of this one! 

• Two Weeks by Grizzly Bear

Two Weeks is one of Grizzly Bear’s most popular songs out there, and for good reason! The underlying harmonies are ear catching and make you want to listen again and again! The variations in the verses make you always listening for something new, and you’ll be humming the chorus all day! Catchy tunes are always Spring tunes. 

• White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane

A classic, yet again. You can never go wrong with the askew Alice in Wonderland alter-universe song, White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane. This distopic song will have you rethinking your childhood fave, Alice in Wonderland, with its twisted lyrics, mellow bass, and smooth guitar, and, of course, the late rockstar, Grace Slick’s unmistakable voice. 

• Kashmir by Led Zeppelin

Holy cow! This song will throw you into another universe! I suggest listening to the live version (above) with the bass up. Turn up the volume on your sweet stereo system (nothing else is acceptable), close your eyes, and feel the song. There’s nothing more I can say about this. It will throw you into a transcendental state.  

• Sagres by the Tallest Man on Earth

Very much unlike Kashmir, this song makes you feel like you should be hiking up a mountain in upstate New York, pitching a picnic by a waterfall, and talking to the locals while basking in the sun. I know, that’s really vivid, but that’s what the song evokes for me. The great thing about this song, is that it can be a break-up song, a happy-go-lucky song, or whatever you want it to be, but there’s no doubting that if this song were a season it would be nothing if not  Spring.  

• Retrograde by James Blake

I’m going to be honest, I personally listened to this song mostly in the winter, but it’s just so smooth and beautiful, I felt like I needed to share it with all of you. The impeccable R&B artist, James Blake, outdoes himself every time. He is incredibly slick in all of his song writing, and even my mom likes his stuff (and that’s saying something, because she doesn’t like most of what I listen to).  

• Comforting Sounds by Mew

This song is a lot like Kashmire, in that there is no way I can explain to you the significance of the song because it has too many emotions within it. It’s a song you need to listen to with  headphones in and listen to at full volume. As you let the music sweep you away, take time to appreciate Mew’s electronic work and crafty orchestration. 

• First Love / Late Spring by Mitski

Mitski is an impeccable art-rock artist with a hot pink bass, who (quickly?) went from being this small town indie-rocker to this hot commodity. For good reason, though. She is a sensation on the guitar, and her lyrics are sympathetic and unconventional. She writes her music to provoke questions rather than to answer them.

I hope that you enjoyed some, if not all, of the songs I put on this playlist. I know I’ll be listening to it this Spring!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

My name is Victoria and I am a singer/songwriter and physics enthusiast from Pleasantville, NY. I am a first year currently studying Music and Physics at Mount Holyoke College. I run for the Cross Country and Track team, and I am a big proponent of Halloween, Harry Potter, music, tea, and art.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.