This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

I have an 8 am class during both modules this semester. Usually while on campus I have a strict routine every day. However, things are not as usual, and I’m not living on campus right now, so this means my morning routine is out of whack. Over break (and honestly most of last semester) I woke up closer to 9:30 or 10 am every day, and would spend up to an hour in bed browsing social media before getting up. Now that I have an 8 am, I can’t do that. These past two weeks I’ve been trying to establish a routine that works for me. I only have my class three days a week, so that just makes it even harder for me to stick to my routine, but I’m hoping that I won’t stay in bed for hours on those days. 

The first part of my routine is trying to get a good amount of sleep. I do this by trying to go to bed at the same time every night. Honestly, this hasn’t stuck yet, but I’m still holding out hope. I’ve been trying to go to bed around 10:30 or 11 pm so that way I feel well rested when I  get up at 7:15 the next day. I’ve also been trying to make up for my sleep by going to bed early and not by taking naps. I’m not a big napper in general, but recently I’ve been feeling the pull to take mid-day naps. I’ve been combating this by either doing a relaxing thing (like reading) or by doing an active activity (like playing with my dog or going on a walk). 

woman sleeping in bed
Photo by Gregory Pappas from Unsplash

The first thing I do when I wake up is listen to music. I find a good song really sets the tone for the rest of the day. Sometimes when I wake up I’ll listen to a really hype song if I’m feeling more tired. I continue to listen to music until the start of my class. I know other people listen to podcasts, a radio station, or an audiobook, but I personally know I wouldn’t be able to focus on those, and music just wakes me up. 

I next check my email, in case I received any important ones from my professors. Then I only check the social media where I have a notification. This takes a lot of self-control, and I don’t always stick to it. Next, I get out of bed and get ready for the day. It doesn’t take a long time for me to get ready; most days I’ll wear my pajamas to class or just throw on a sweater. 

Tea pot with cup of tea
Photo by Jakub Kapusnak from Foodiesfeed

After getting ready I immediately start on breakfast. First I put on hot water for tea. I think the simple act of making tea has helped me establish a routine in the kitchen. While the water heats up I try to think of/make what I want for breakfast. I’m usually very hungry when I wake up, so I need a good breakfast to tide me over until lunch. I’ve recently been eating cereal with fruit in it (Cheerios or Special K with a chopped banana is *chef’s kiss*), but I do want to get more creative with my morning meal. Other breakfast items that are relatively fast to make but also delicious are avocado toast, eggs, toast with jam, french toast, and oatmeal. 

I then eat my breakfast (bet you weren’t expecting that). I always try to take my time and try not to rush eating. I don’t like to eat while in class because I need my hands free to take notes. However, I usually have tea left over to finish during class. While eating, I either scroll social media or start on my to-do list for the day. I cross things off and write down any homework and tasks I need/want to get done for the day. 

writing in book with cup of coffee and croissant
Photo by Cathryn Lavery from Unsplash

Lastly, I set up my desk area for class. I always get a glass of water and make sure I don’t need to go to the bathroom before class. If I don’t have a class that day, then I’ll most likely take my time completing each step of my routine. 

This routine is definitely a work in progress and is likely to change by the next module. However, this is what’s working for me at the moment. Hopefully you’ve found some interesting tips to incorporate into your own morning routine! 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.  

Michaela Phelan

Mt Holyoke '22

I am an International Relations major who just really likes to read, listen to music, and watch tv.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.