This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Massachusetts weather can be cruel to my dry skin. Since I came here, I have been experimenting with some moisturizers to save my skin from the harsh winter. To help anyone else struggling with the winter blues, I have rounded up my favorite multifunctional moisturizers that can keep you hydrated through the season.

1. Radha Rosehip Oil – $14.95

I have nothing but love for this oil. Sometimes acne will make itself at home around my chin, but this product has kept my skin clear. Rosehip oil is known to be rich in linoleic acid, with a typical concentration of 44,1%. Usually, people with oily skin or acne prone skin will stay away from oil, due to a popular belief that oil is comedogenic, meaning that it could cause acne. However, according to a paper by the National Institutes of Health,  “Acne patients have also been shown to have low levels of linoleic acid in their skin surface lipids.” Therefore, if you choose the right oil, your skin can benefit from it. Girls with drier skin can opt for oils that are high in oleic acid, a fatty acid that is a is superb at delivering moisture to skin. I discovered the method of treating acne with oil from the Youtuber Liah Yoo, a Korean beauty influencer who is now the creator of the skin care brand KraveBeauty. She’s been struggling with acnes for years. For more details, you can click this link to watch her explain the two substances. I also use this oil on my hair before washing it, and on dry spots such as cuticles and knees.

2. La Roche Posay Cicaplast B5 Multi-Purpose Cream. – $14.99

This cream is a flake fighter. It will immediately soften your skin once you apply it. What I love about this cream is its soothing property. Sometimes the skin around my legs can get itchy due to the absence of humidity, something I’ve grown up with in Vietnam, but this cream saved my life. The consistency is rich, so a little goes a long way. It can sit heavily on your face for about one to two minutes, which can be uncomfortable. However, after it sinks onto your skin it will leave a matte surface. Perfect to wear for daytime! 

3. First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream. $12-$32.

Allow me to praise this moisturizer before we complain about the price. Along with the rosehip oil, this product is an essential in my skincare routine. Its texture is as rich as that of the La Roche Posay moisturizer, but absorbs into the skin quicker. For the face, I only apply a small amount, and it keeps my skin hydrated the whole day. Sometimes I apply two layers on my face as a sleeping mask, and my skin feels supple the next morning. If I use a thicker amount, this cream works wonderfully as a body butter. You may want to try the mini size (2 oz) first, which costs $12. The other sizes are quite expensive, but the standard one (12 oz) is huge. It takes me eight months to finish, so I definitely recommend this cream. 

Moisturizer is the most important step in everyday skincare routine. Packed with nourishing ingredients, moisturizer will help you prevent early formation of wrinkles and age spots in the long run. So remember to stay hydrated! 

Images: 1 2 3 4

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.  

Thien An (she/her/hers) is currently a junior at Mount Holyoke College, majoring in English, with a minor in History.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.