This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

It’s no question that I watch a lot of TV, so naturally I’ve come across shows in different languages. I personally love watching foreign shows because they show a different perspective of the world and it’s fun to point out the similarities/differences between the US and other countries. It can also be fun to hear different languages and see actors that you may have  never heard of before. I firmly believe that subtitles should not be the reason that you don’t watch something, because it just might end up being a new favorite. Here I’ve listed some of my favorite underrated foreign language TV shows. 

Ghoul

Language: Hindi

Set in a dystopian future where India is under a fascist regime, the government utilizes military detention centers to gain information about their greatest threat, terrorists. Enter Nida, a new interrogator at a secret detention center, set to question a man who exhibits strange behavior and reveals secrets that only she knows. Convinced this man is a supernatural being, she tries to survive her assigned time at the center. This show is not for the faint of heart, as it dives into the gritty and dark horror that you would expect from the company that produced both Insidious, Paranormal Activity, and The Purge. With only three episodes you get immediately sucked in and it is so easy to fly right through. 

To The Lake

Language: Russian

This show is very timely, taking place in modern day Moscow when a contagious virus breaks out forcing the city into lockdown. It follows two families on their journey out of suburban Moscow up to northern Russia where they hope to be isolated from the outside world. This show is a very interesting take on the virus outbreak trope, as most of the show isn’t really focused on it. Instead most of the attention is on the relationships between each character. You come to realize that while these two families are close friends and neighbors, the strains in these friendships are only heightened when their lives are on the line. With only one season out, it’s easy to finish it in a week or over the weekend. 

Kingdom

Language: Korean

After trying to keep the dying king alive, a strange disease spreads throughout the kingdom. The Crown Prince Lee Chang must not only face this deadly plague that brings people back from the dead but also the political enemies who try to steal his future throne from him and want to kill him. Set during Korea’s Joseon period, it takes influence from historical events such as the Japanese invasion of Korea, which brings another layer into this already fascinating show. This historical zombie political thriller is so captivating. It’s a fresh take on the zombie genre as it is set in the past where there are no guns or any news source meaning the dead are harder to kill and not everyone knows about this plague. I highly recommend this to everyone that’s looking for something new. With two seasons out and a third season already confirmed, it’s the perfect time to get into the show.

Foreign language TV has a huge ocean of underrated shows to discover. Happy watching!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.     

Michaela Phelan

Mt Holyoke '22

I am an International Relations major who just really likes to read, listen to music, and watch tv.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.