This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

In the beginning of 2022, I made it my goal to read 50 books in one year (that’s about 1 book per week!). I was determined to meet my goal, and eventually I finished my 50th book on December 30th. Overall, it was a great year in terms of the quality of the books I read. Here are 5 of my favorites, in no particular order.

Km8wHVYvHLYEvXqDY51rMMNfw3 uTS34mdhKBhtVTyzfWAT HjhQ6N8uL9HTAnZBqeeT4YkMfVz82X1IH

June 15, 2021 by Harper Wave

Cultish: The Language of Fanaticism, by Amanda Montell

I found out about this book through listening to one of my favorite podcasts, “Sounds Like a Cult,” hosted by Issa Medina and Amanda Montell. They examine how cults are constructed by comparing them to popular groups that we all follow. From Starbucks, nonprofits, to heterosexuality, they examine how everyday practices can become “culty.” I would highly recommend both listening to the podcast and reading the book. The book goes into some of the history behind the more serious and dangerous cults, as well as “cults” that have surfaced in recent years that are not harmful on the surface, but have some darker aspects. Amanda Montell is also interested in the study of language, which she weaves into her   discussion  about the kinds of language that we use to talk about cults, as well as the language cults use to hook you in.

iFscs9DIQYyj1ei2I YZqGJK7LCCuDCdDJG7O3AyGq6RP0iMI4hKi1Kh64JcQc8g0Rduaz iQc2F9PkcGdOwDPA2aqhx m94Q G NF

November 5, 2019 by Graywolf Press

In the Dream House, by Carmen Maria Machado

This book is a memoir that is stylistically different from the usual format. It details Carmen Maria Machado’s struggle with an abusive queer relationship. She describes this experience as being “in the dream house” and makes comparisons to her struggles by using classic literary tropes. It’s really inventive and interesting, and while I normally don’t like books that are too experimental in terms of style, I think that it really worked here.

aq0aBPv9Elvsy8vHYE12 BPrhAd5kBJ74di2yTDFQMXwgsi9KTcPRWKlovy4jrPlH8Uv7NVx0rpQP86dWuYve3XNEvSKi3dvQkrwi1EEkTHLmwKEYSDqljGK2kv3PaFMx

April 11, 2017 by Flatiron Books

If We Were Villains, by M.L. Rio

Anyone that knows me knows that I’m a complete sucker for dark academia literature. My love of this genre started when I read The Secret History by Donna Tartt. That book clearly inspired If We Were Villains, but I don’t think it went too overboard with the parallels. It follows seven young actors who are studying Shakespeare in college. When one of their friends winds up dead, they have to figure out what happened. The character building is really well done, the mystery isn’t too obvious, and the atmosphere is perfect for a cozy, spooky read.

Jmv5SEQpCFTwnh5QfDKF9DlniUw0qmPp3vr9xRJZ2FNu7EAKtR4v QECvFbXzb aPp6qP ennnTZtORgrsAO8gM9l7E nPDkZo0 Qg2rmj3gjFufsMzZC y4 PC37G04PwmFkyTiiFPAG ubGdHhP8U

October 11, 2022 by The Feminist Press at CUNY

It Came From the Closet, edited by Joe Vallese

When I first encountered this book, I was in a small bookstore in a town outside of my college. I hadn’t intended to purchase anything, but this book was too captivating for me to leave behind. It’s a collection of essays that detail queer writers’ connections to horror movies and how they can parallel their own life. Often, the horror movie genre has been notorious for being homophobic or transphobic, but these authors were able to reclaim them to tell their stories and experiences with queerness.

98I1mGBV XjryoNmUZww AqLYB tyXHH KBnsNdjq5W8MSXg QrDekRAs7Fa7lQjbJSx2NeVyvFIKCjzaxb0kykaAtf1 03XyZyoMU4K2GLBd 1wos 4zNmQtcxiQ 0Z2pZgZ9p5LCInW egH ASeMc

November 9, 2021 by Metropolitan Books

My Body, by Emily Ratajwoski

I don’t normally like books that were written by celebrities, but this one is an exception. A collection of essays written by Ratajowski about her experiences in the public eye, the model uses a feminist lens to explore some of the issues that she has dealt with in her career. It’s really personal, and I think it’s a great commentary on sexism in the modeling industry and other feminist topics.

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.

Eva Hanson

Mt Holyoke '26

Eva is a sophomore at Mount Holyoke College, double-majoring in English and Sociology with a Nexus in Journalism, Media, and Public Discourse. She grew up in Seattle, Washington and now lives in Massachusetts for most of the year. She mostly writes about music, books, TV shows, and feminism. You can often find her curled up with a book (and maybe a cat, too!)