That’s So New-England-Liberal-Arts-College: Fall Fashion Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

The liberal arts colleges sprinkled across New England are notable for their small sizes, dedication to a well-rounded education, and their steep price tags. These schools certainly have their differences as well, but there is something even more distinct that unites the women of these schools. The fashion. There are a few key fall fashion trends that you can find being sported by college women up and down the east coast. Let’s have a look at some of the most prominent:

1. Bean Boots

Nothing has ever been so New England as Bean Boots. Usually known as Duck boots if they’re not manufactured by Maine-based L.L. Bean, these boots are perfect for the fall weather. These shoes will keep your feet warm and dry throughout the day-to-day life of a New England college girl — walking through the crisp leaves, apple picking, etc. Throw these on with a thick pair of socks, and you’ve got yourself a look!

2. Mom Jeans     

Nothing quite says, “I’m majoring in chai tea lattes” like the infamous mom jeans. High waisted, baggy, and light-wash, it doesn’t get much sexier than this. They may have been cast aside by others, but liberal arts women know how cute these can look with the right crop top and a nice pair of boots. Not to mention how unbelievably comfortable they are!

3. Patagonia

The Patagonia sweater is a staple of the New England wardrobe, so much so that it is arguably equally as popular among men. Warm and cozy, and often covered in prints that look like they belong in the 80s, these sweaters should be wrong. But when that crisp fall air starts to roll in, they are just so, so right.

4. The “I just went to yoga” look     

The great thing about dressing like you’re about to roll out your mat and do a down dog, is that there is absolutely no requirement to do actual yoga. Yoga pants and a tank can take you from class to the library, and then for a quick coffee at Thirsty Minds. If you’d like to hit the gym after for a quick yoga session that’s great! Or you can skip that part and just use your Lululemon leggings to fool everyone into thinking you are a health goddess. That versatility is the beauty of this ensemble!

5. Oversized Scarves

Whether it’s the chilly weather or you’ve finally caught that cold everyone in the school basically has, scarfs are a basic staple for many. So why not double the fun by making the scarf twice as large as necessary? Cozy and knitted these scarves look super cute with mom jeans!

6. Vests

Have you ever had a cold torso but warm arms? Yeah, me neither, but vests continue to be an incredibly important part of liberal arts college style. Worn over a button down shirt or sweater, vests are a cute way to keep warm when the chilly fall mornings roll in, and can be kept on even when it warms up in the afternoon. Also, unlike jackets which cover up your whole outfit, vests let your shirt peek out so that your look stays on point.

Whether you rock these looks or not, liberal arts women can agree that a lot of things connect us. So try a few of these looks, or don’t, whatever floats your boat. Because at the end of the day it’s our individuality that unites us all.

Image sources: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Hallie Lorde

Mt Holyoke

I am a first year at Mount Holyoke College interested in fashion, politics, and environmental issues.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.