This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

The best thing to come out of the pandemic is that I have had more time to read books! Through this, I was reminded of a time when I would look forward to new releases of my favorite series with so much anticipation that I would stay up until midnight to start reading the book on my Kindle. It was really nice to rediscover my love of reading over the summer that I had not felt since middle school. If you are like me and you are excited about or want to be excited about reading books again, here are some highly anticipated fall fantasy book releases that I am looking forward to and want to recommend!

Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas

Release Date: September 1, 2020

What it’s About: Just in time for the spooky season, this book follows Yadriel, a transgender boy who attempts to summon the ghost of his cousin to prove himself to his traditional Latinx family. Instead, he summons the school bad boy Julian Diaz who is determined to find out how he died. Yadriel agrees to help him but soon he finds that the more time he spends with Julian, the less he wants him to leave. 

This book only came out a few weeks ago, but it already has raving reviews! Check it out on Goodreads if you are interested in learning more.

Iron Heart by Nina Varela

Release Date: September 8, 2020

What it’s About: The sequel to Crier’s War, a sapphic fantasy enemies-to-lovers romance between a human and an Automae. Ayla, a human servant, has only one goal: to avenge the death of her family by killing the Sovereign’s daughter, Lady Crier. Crier is an Automae, made to inherit her father’s rule. But then she meets Ayla, and everything changes. As she begins to question the world around her, Crier also develops forbidden feelings for Ayla. Together, they uncover more revelations about Crier’s betrothed, Scyre Kinok and the dangerous movement he is the leader of. 

Iron Heart is the second and final book, so if you like to wait for a series to be completed before reading them, now is the time to pick this one up.

Legendborn by Tracy Deonn

Release Date: September 15, 2020

What it’s About: In Tracy Deonn’s debut novel, she offers a thrilling contemporary fantasy with a dark twist on the classic legend of King Arthur. On Bree’s first night on campus for a high school residential program, she witnesses a magical attack that unlocks her own magical abilities and unlocks a buried memory with a hidden connection between the teenage mage “Merlin” and someone who was at the hospital the night her mother died. To find out what really happened to her mother, Bree infiltrates the Legendborn- a secret society of the descendant of King Arthur and his knights. When it is revealed that a magical war is coming, Bree must decide how far she will go to find the truth. 

This book is perfect for fans of Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments series and Holly Blacks Folk of the Air trilogy! More information can be found here.

The Silvered Serpents by Roshani Chokshi

Release Date: September 22, 2020

What it’s About: The sequel to The Gilded Wolves, a story set in 1889 Paris where a group of treasure hunters attempts to find an artifact from a mysterious organization so that their leader can claim his inheritance. Perfect for fans of Six of Crows, this book brings together a diverse cast of characters to pull off a perfect blend of history, fantasy, and adventure. 

I just finished the first book and I cannot wait to continue the series. The world is so well written and the characters are interesting and fun to read about! More information about The Silvered Serpents here

Skyhunter by Marie Lu

Release Date: September 29, 2020

What it’s About: The author of the Legend trilogy returns with the first book in her new series Skyhunter about the lengths that one warrior will go to protect her loved ones and fight for freedom. That warrior is Talin, a member of an elite fighting force defending the last free nation in the world. When a mysterious prisoner is brought from the capital, she senses there is more to him than meets the eye. Uncertain of the secrets he is hiding, she knows only one thing is clear: she is ready to fight for the only home she has left. 

I have loved every one of Marie Lu’s books! She always does an amazing job of crafting unique stories in colorful worlds. I was so excited to find out that she is releasing another series and I cannot wait to read this book! I highly recommend checking out her other books if you haven’t already and learning more about Skyhunter here if you are interested!

A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik

Release Date: September 29, 2020

What it’s About: In a school for the magically gifted, failure means certain death and survival is more important than any grade since the students can’t leave until they graduate. El possesses a strong dark power that could help her easily defeat the monsters that prowl the school. But the problem is that her magic might also kill the other students. 

When I pre-ordered this a month ago, I had no idea what it was about but I thought that the title sounded cool and the cover looked pretty. Now, I am beyond excited to receive my copy and start reading. The stunning cover and more information here!

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab

Release Date: October 6, 2020

What it’s About: In France 1714, a young woman makes a desperate bargain to live forever but is cursed to be forgotten by everyone she meets. This is the extraordinary life of Addie LaRue, who adventures across continents and history to leave her mark on the world. But everything changes when she meets someone who remembers her name… 

I was just recently introduced to V.E. Schwab’s books and I am absolutely obsessed! She hooks you from the very first page and creates such intriguing characters and complex worlds. Read more about this book and her others on Goodreads.

Lightbringer by Claire Legrand

Release Date: October 13, 2020

What it’s About: The epic finale to the Empirium Trilogy, a story of two queens separated by thousands of years who must face their destinies. In the first book, Furyborn, it follows the story of Rielle Dardenne who exposes herself as one of a pair of prophesied queens when she saves her best friend. To prove that she is the prophesized good queen, Rielle must complete seven magic trials. One thousand years later, this legend is a fairy tale to Eliana Ferracora, a bounty hunter for the Undying Empire who discovers secrets about the empire that are more terrifying than she imagined. Rielle and Eliana are caught in a war that spans a millennium, and as their stories intersect, shocking connections between them ultimately determine their fates. 

With the finale coming out in about a month, now is the perfect time to start reading the series! I loved the first book and read the rest of the story. More details about Lightbringer and the other two books can be found here.

Ruinsong by Julia Ember

Release Date: November 24, 2020

What it’s About: In a world of magical singing, a powerful mage is forced to torture her country’s nobility for the ruthless queen. But when she reunites with her childhood friend who has ties with the rebellion, she must choose between freeing her country from oppression or becoming a monster like the queen she works for. In this dark romance, two women from rival factions must work together to reunite their country.

This book is my most highly anticipated stand-alone of the year! If you are interested, check it out here

A Sky Beyond the Storm by Sabaa Tahir

Release Date: December 1, 2020

What it’s About: The long-awaited conclusion to the bestselling An Ember in the Ashes series, a story set in a brutal world inspired by ancient Rome. When Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, she decides to risk her life to spy for the rebels in exchange for his freedom. Laia is sent to the Empire’s prestigious military academy, where she meets Elias, the school’s best soldier. But Elias wants to be free of the tyranny that he has been trained to enforce. Elias and Laia realize that their destinies are intertwined and that their choices have the power to change the fate of the Empire. 

I started reading this series when it first came out in 2016, so I have been waiting for this finale for 4 years! This is such an amazing fantasy series, and I highly recommend it. If you have ever thought about reading it, now is the perfect time to start! Be sure to read more about this book here

All of these books are exciting upcoming releases from my favorite genre, young adult fantasy. If you also love reading but have a different favorite genre, I highly recommend looking for upcoming releases and putting them on your calendar so that you can look forward to them as well. Either way, I hope that you were inspired to find a new and exciting book to read this fall!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.  

Acadia Ferrero-Lampron is currently a sophmore at Mount Holyoke College, where she is majoring in International Relations. In her free time, she loves to read books, bake sweets, and try new sustainable products.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.